Fluance speaker choice

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SusanS, Aug 1, 2003.

1. SusanS

SusanS Auditioning

After going to the major electronics stores & researching speakers online until I'm about blue in the face, I'm considering the Fluance. I'm no audio expert but do want great sound without alot of cost. As someone who has had Fisher speakers for over 15 years (floor & bookshelf), would I be going up a notch or down?

And of these two Fluance floor models, any feedback as to which would be the better buy (only $30 difference):

SV-10
    Tweeter: 1" Neodynium balanced silk dome ferrofluid cooled
    Midrange: Dual 5" polymer treated with butyl rubber surrounds in separate enclosure
    Subwoofer: Side-firing 8" polymer treated high excursion with butyl rubber surround
    Power handling: 50-200 watts
    Frequency Response: 42-20k Hz
    Sensitivity: 87+-3dB
    Crossover: 800/3500 Hz phase coherent

SM-938
    Tweeter: 1" titanium balance silk dome ferrofluid cooled
    Midrange: Dual 4" polypropylene, butyl rubber surrounds, separate enclosure
    Subwoofer: Side-firing 10" poly-treated high excursion, butyl rubber surround 30 oz. magnet, 35mm voice coil
    Power handling: 20-200 watts
    Frequency response: 38-20k Hz
    Sensitivity: 89+-3dB
    Crossover: 900/3500 Hz phase coherent

I don't plan on getting a separate subwoofer; would the 938 with the 10" woofer be a better choice in that regard? I would also be getting the center & bipolar speakers.

Thanks for your help!

Susan

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Susan,

I don't think it would be a notch down.

What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of equipment will you be using with the speakers?

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I think before you whole heartedly decide on fluance you should check out the White Van Speaker thread here on the forum you may have some different views on Fluance after reading it.

4. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Fluance has nothing at all to do with the white van scam. Do a search in this forum on Fluance and you will see many positive reviews on the Fluance speakers. There is a speaker brand called Nuance that has a questionable reputation.

5. SusanS

SusanS Auditioning

Curtis, I listen to rock, country, jazz. I'm also in the market for a new receiver - have had Fisher equipment all these years as well. I've heard the Fluance speakers are power hungry and was planning on posting on the 'Receiver' section of the forum for help after seeing what kind of response I get here. But please go ahead and put in your 2 cents worth, I'll take all the advice I can get!

6. JeremyFr

Actually Jim I know the difference between Fluance and Nuance but unfortunately recent discoveries which are brought up in this thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...readid=151421, have found that Fluance speakers are actually built by the same Chinese Company www.goldsky.com that produce the speakers sold out of white vans. This has been brought up and is being investigated but unforunately for fluance they have yet to make a reply back regarding this question by several members.

If you look at www.goldsky.com and www.fluance.com you'll see there are several speakers on both sites that match spec for spec down to the exact weight and dimensional size. All I was doing was pointing this fact out and leaving the decision ulitmately to SusanS but making sure she knows everything before she commits to anything.

7. SusanS

SusanS Auditioning

I did look at the Gold Sky website as I had seen it mentioned in previous posts about Fluance, and I did see where their S139F speakers DO match up exactly to the Fluance SM938 in natural finish (though Fluance is no longer selling that speaker in natural - only the black). I'm not seeing the SV-10s or even the bipolar speakers.

8. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Thanks for the info. My computer died last week so I have not been able to keep up with this forum on a regular basis until yesterday. What I said about many positive comments about Fluance speakers on this forum still hold true, but it is disturbing to find out that they may actually be the manufacturers of the "white van speakers".

BTW, I didn't mean to criticize you concerning Fluance and Nuance, I just know that there has been confusion over the two names before.

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Susan,
    I had a thread going debating between Fluance and some other speakers. Initially I was going to go with the popular JBL NSP1s or the Acoustic Research speakers @ Bestbuy.com. Some exhaustive hunting found only 1 person that bought them and was not happy with them (on avsforum). That was out of about 30-40 comments I read. Cnet gave the fluance $199 5-speaker set a 7.1 and said for the price, they were terrific speakers. I decided to chance it and go with them. I should have them on Monday (they will be sitting @ a UPS facility like 20 miles away all weekend, grrr). If you haven't decided by then, I will throw in my input - not that I'm an audiophile, but I am picky about purchases, and maybe I will end up one.

10. JeremyFr

now please dont think that I'm bashing Fluance because I am not I have no reason to since I cannot speak of how they sound etc since I've never heard them. Just wanted to point out some interesting info we have found lately that would make me a little leary about purchasing from them. Though the 7 day return policy I've heard of would be enough to make me leary anyways.

Jeremy

11. Rives Elmore

Rives Elmore Stunt Coordinator

Is there solid evidence that the Fluance are made by Goldsky, OTHER than the speakers being identical?? I just received my 199 set today, hooked it up and watched LOTR FOTR, loved it...very nice set of speakers. I do agree they sound a bit tinny at first, but according to most reviews...after the break in they are fantastic speakers for the money.

I would highly recommend them to anyone on a tight budget. Even those who have a bit of money to spend.

12. JeremyFr

13. SusanS

SusanS Auditioning

Dave & Rives,
    Let me know how you like the speakers especially after the breakin period.

14. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Susan,
    I bought the fluance sx-htb system over a year ago,and would highly recommend them.They are a fantastic bang for your buck speaker that gives you much,much better sound then what you expect.
    As far as where they are made,doesnt really matter to me.The one thing you will here many htf members say is,let your ears be the judge.
    That being said,fluance is on my recommend list because of what my ears tell me.

15. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I've had the sx-htb set in my basement for a couple of months they sound excellent for the money I paid and I can assure you no white van showed up at my house! It was a ups truck.
    Just because one speaker model looks similar in a small picture doesn't mean it's the same company.
    Fluance were perfectly professional in dealing with me. I had no trouble with the transaction and the speakers arrived within two business days double boxed without a scratch on them.

16. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

My reservation with Fluance is their cabinet construction with only 1/2 inch material.

I consider this too thin and flimsy, which means very prone to cabinet resonance problems. I will say I have never heard Fluance, but I would also never take the chance on buying a speaker with poor construction quality like that.

17. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I just measured the mains there 5/8" thick. I don't deny that listening to speakers in a retail outlet isn't better however what I heard and saw in a retail outlet was more expensive and they certainly didn't perform as well as sx-htb that I've got. Nobodies saying you must buy online. I took a chance because I felt good about what I read. If you feel uncomfortable about a purchase don't do it. However they sound good. I played the concert bass in orchestras for years so I know the differance between what sounds good and what sounds bad.

18. Tom_Es

Tom_Es Auditioning

I have not heard these speakers, but they remind me of some speakers I owned years ago, back in Europe, called Avance - concerning looks and build quality.

The Avance speakers were pretty good, and it sounds like most people really like the Fluance's as well.

The build quality should be significantly better than the Fisher speakers.

Granted, it might be produced by Gold Sky, or at least probably in China, but then again, a very large percentage of the world's speakers are produced there. (Look at the Diva line that was so popular not long ago - different league of course, but chinese!!)

Even if these are the same as the speakers sold out of white vans, there is one significant point to be made: The white van guys usually sell their speakers at higher prices than what you can pick the fluances up for at ebay or fluance.

I am sure you are going into this with open eyes, and the understanding that these are not high end speakers, but still, better than a lot of the speakers out there.

19. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

It's been said before - 200 bucks for 5 speakers seems impossible, and if they even work at all it's an amazing deal.
    I know of 3 people that took the chance and were supprised to find Fluance are better than what you get at any local B&M for 300-500.
    That said, don't expect something great. Remember this is less than a single speaker from most companies.

An easy test - go buy a home theater in a box for 400-450.
    Go to pricegrabber and find a HarmanKardon AVR125 for 199.00 and then get the 200 Fluance rig to go with it.

Hook up both and prepare to pack up the HT in a box for return.

Eric

20. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

Don't be scared off by the low prices. The retail market just rips people off. [​IMG]

I got the ES-1 towers and love them. NOt only do they look friggin awesome, they sound great with a wide soundstage. But, they lack on the low end because they don't have an in-cabinet subwoofer. So, the ones with teh built in subs might work better for you.

And Jeremy, do you have to interject with your anti-Fluance "white van" schtick in every Fluance thread?