Fluance or Aperion subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chuck_W, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Has anyone bought or heard a subwoofer from Fluance or Aperion?

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I haven't, but just guessing, I would say the Aperion ones are better. Any reason you're considering these 2 particular brands? There's tons of subs out there.

3. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Actually I just bought my first system...just a cheapie to play with and start learning this HT hobby, but I'm already looking forward to the next step. Just curious about these two....haven't heard one word on the Fluance subs, but saw some decent comments on the Aperions. What are your sub recommendations?

4. Sean_P_O'Brien

Aperion speakers rock, particularly the 12" sub. I am still breaking mine in, and they sound awesome in my (quickly organized) HT. After the holidays I plan to take my time and fine tune the speakers as well as their placement. The 12" sub is thunderous. I was once given advice that it is on par with (and in some opinions) exceeds the widely popular SVS and Hsu subs in overall performance. Everyone has their opinions, so you have to take advice at face value, or experiment yourself.

I think the Aperions far exceed their level of investment, and generally receive little to no attention on this forum. It could be because there simply are not many Aperion owners, or it could be that the more popular brands discussed here, also happen to be the site's sponsors - and it makes sense to support those that support the site.

Whatever reason, I give two thumbs up on the Aperion Intimus system [​IMG] [​IMG] , especially the 12" sub. The bookshelves are a tad bit bright (but not much) for 2.1 stereo listening, and absolutely rule in the HT department.

5. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

The few reviews I've seen on the Aperion also praise the sub....thanks Sean for your input. Interesting observations!

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I think that Aperion has a very well-executed website and a clever marketing campaign. They also have good reviews. The C|net review also has the added value of te C|net name. C|net reviews are very easy for the consumer to relate to because they aren't uptight or esoteric. I think that's useful.

7. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

DVD Etc magazine gave the Aperion subs (all models) some of the very highest review numbers for performance of all the subs they tested (competing against expensive audiophile brand names). The issue, fyi, is the one where they do an exhaustive sub shoot-out and is listed on the front cover.

The Aperion subs seem to be the crown jewels of the line. Good prices. Very aesthetic as far as I'm concerned. I'm also surprised they don't get more "ink" here. All end users rave about them.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to first try their subs out when delving into such products. They have FREE return shipping money back guarantee--a real no-brainer IMHO.

8. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Thanks David for the scoop on the magazine review...I'll have to track down that article.

Chuck

9. Dave Corbitt

Dave Corbitt Extra

Dave Corbitt
    I recently bought an Aperion S12 sub and am very impressed with performance, power, and flatness of low end down to 20 Hz with little rolloff. Plus the cabinet is very nicely finished. With free return policy if you are not satisfied, this unit is not only a lot cheaper than comparables but virtually risk free. It does a fine job with low notes in music, bass drum kicks, and explosive sound effects.[​IMG]

Dave

10. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

I'll throw my weight behind my Aperion S-12 Sub.
    It's strong and powerful and it looks beautiful
    (Sounds like my woman) [​IMG]

11. David Keith

David Keith Stunt Coordinator

I have the Aperion 12" in my wifes' system and it is awesome ! I've also had 6 SVS subs and loved every one of them, from the "big round ones" to the PB2+ and also had the top of the line "B4+" out in the main theater room.
    The Aperion, at about $600.00, I think, is a no-brainer. BUT....... I have NOT heard SVS's new little box they just came out with for around $425.00. I won't hazard a "guess" at which one is better, but I certainly WON'T be selling my Aperion to buy the SVS just to find out. The Aperion does NOTHING wrong and I do love it !