Fluance AV-BP2 Bipolar Surround speaker setup for 6.1

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by perrin, Nov 25, 2003.

1. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

I ordered the single Fluance's AV-BP2 Bipolar Surround Satellite to get 6.1 sound. I already have the AV-HTB set hooked up to my Denon 2802. Should I use these Bipolar speakers as my surrounds and use one of the other surrounds from the AV-HTB for the rear center?

Here is a description from Fluance's website:

Fluance speakers, the choice for audio enthusiasts around the world, are recognized as an outstanding performance product that delivers amazing sound, superb build-quality and unprecedented value. We have accomplished this by strictly adhering to a single goal:

Design and engineer speakers that ensure accurate sound reproduction at prices with which none can compete!
    To achieve these goals, Fluance uses high-performance drive units, advanced enclosure technologies and highly refined crossovers to achieve all new standards in sound performance and technological design excellence. The results are clean, undistorted bass, smooth response throughout the midrange, exceptional high frequency resolution, and pinpoint imaging that everyone can appreciate.

When the principles are applied without compromise, you can close your eyes, open your ears and the speakers disappear . . . now you are at one with the music!

The Fluance AV-BP2's bipolar design combines excellent diffusion with pinpoint placement of highly localized effects on the surround channels!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Fluance AV-BP2 tackles the needs of surround speaker design in a usefully different way. It is a bipolar design that combines two identical panels that employ a 4-inch woofer and a 1-inch Neodymium balanced dome tweeter. Its surround ambience is very convincing, thanks to the way the two speaker panels are angled outward to radiate indirectly. But because the speakers are wired in phase, in a bipolar design, they also provide all the localization needed for soundtracks with directional surround effects. The more demanding you are about surround sound, the more we think you will appreciate what the AV-BP2 has to offer. It has top reproduction qualities in the hi-fidelity music as well as the surround sound home theater area and therefore can also be used as a bookshelf speaker. Only premium components such as powerfully dimensioned high-performance magnets and Neodymium tweeters are used in the production of this system. The Neodymium balanced pure silk dome tweeters provide a wonderfully smooth and accurate projection of the high frequency portions of the signal. The result is a pure and perfect listening experience.
    Key Features

Bipolar Radiation Pattern For Optimum Surround Imaging
    MDF Wood Construction To Reduce Cabinet Resonance
    High End Neodymium Balanced Pure Silk Dome Tweeters
    Ferro-fluid Cooled Tweeter For Longer Life
    High Efficiency Design
    Butyl Rubber Surrounds For Increased Durability and Performance
    Gold Plated Binding Post Terminals for Optimum Conductivity
    Removable Flush Fit Grills
    Built-In Wall Mounting Hardware
    Crossover Features Butterworth Design
    18 Gauge Lead Wire to Reduce Signal Degradation
    Premium Black Ash Woodgrain Finish
    New with a 5 Year Warranty
    Specifications

System Type: 2 Way - 4 Driver Bipolar Surround Speakers
    Midrange: Dual 4 inch Polymer Treated with Butyl Rubber Surrounds
    Tweeter: Dual 1" Neodymium Balanced Dome Ferrofluid Cooled For Longer Life
    Power Handling: 20 - 100 Watts
    Frequency Response: 130 - 20K Hz
    Sensitivity: 88dB
    Crossover Frequency: 4000 Hz Phase Coherent - PCB Mounted Circuitry
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Enclosure: Acoustic Suspension Design
    Dimensions: 10.2 X 11.0 X 5.5 inches (H x W x D)
    Weight: 6.8 pounds/speaker

PRICED VERY LOW FOR A PAIR OF BRAND NEW SPEAKERS IN FACTORY SEALED BOXES!

Note: this model has been upgraded (upgraded tweeter and mid, upgraded crossover, better cabinet, better connectors).

Availability: Usually ships the next business day.

Fluance Bipolar Surround Sound Satellite Speakers AV-BP2
    AVBP2MSRP: US $149.99DIRECT PRICE: US $99.99

Speaker Wire: No Thanks50 Feet 12 Gauge Heavy Duty (+$9.99)100 Feet 12 Gauge Heavy Duty (+$19.99)150 Feet 12 Gauge Heavy Duty (+$29.99)250 Feet 12 Gauge Heavy Duty (+$39.99)
    Banana Plugs: No Thanks1 Pair Dual Gold Plated (+$9.99)

Fluance Bipolar Surround Sound Single Speaker AV-BP2
    Single Speaker For Dolby Digital 6.1 Systems

Availability: Usually ships the next business day.

Fluance Bipolar Surround Sound Single Speaker AV-BP2
    AVBP2SINGLEMSRP: US $74.99DIRECT PRICE: US $49.99

Speaker Wire: No Thanks50 Feet 12 Gauge Heavy Duty (+$9.99)100 Feet 12 Gauge Heavy Duty (+$19.99)150 Feet 12 Gauge Heavy Duty (+$29.99)250 Feet 12 Gauge Heavy Duty (+$39.99)
    Banana Plugs: No Thanks1 Dual Gold Plated (+$7.99)

We welcome the opportunity to exceed your expectations!

CALL TOLL FREE: 1.888.321.1110
    ORDER ONLINE. IT'S SIMPLE, FAST, AND SECURE!
    100% SAFE, 100% PRIVATE, 100% SECURE SHOPPING (SSL ENCRYPTED)

Click Here to Refer Fluance Speakers to Friends

Copyright 2003 Fluance, if not otherwise specifically marked. Fluance is a registered trademark owned by Tronics International. All rights reserved. Legal Notice: This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form without permission from Tronics International.

www.Fluance.com

perrin

2. Markdf

Markdf Auditioning

How do they sound? I'm thinking of getting some speakers, including those for rears, but I'm worried about the sound. Any comments. What do they compare to?
    Thanks,mark

3. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mark,

I am not sure how they sound because I have not had the chance of hooking them up yet since I got them yesterday. As soon as I try them out, I will let you know.

Strange thing is that Fluance send me the two of them while I ordered just one to get the 6.1 sound. I am thinking of letting them know because of my nagging conscience.

perrin

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Perrin, you should just go ahead and use them. With the cost of Fluance speakers being so low, it would cost more to UPS them back to them in Canada than to keep it. I bet if you contacted them they would say that, if it makes you feel better.

I was considering picking up the Fluance bi-polar surrounds at some point and moving one of my AV-HTB surrounds to be the 6th speaker, myself. My understanding of bipolar speakers would suggest that they would work better for surrounds. Let us know how it sounds!

5. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

Will do.

perrin

6. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Hello Perrin and Mark. Dropped by just to share my thoughts on the Fluance. The AV-BP2 bi-polars are excellent with diffused output making all the surround channels sound larger than conventional direct radiating speakers. For the price I paid, it was certainly worth more. I currently am using four of them as surrounds for the sides and rears. With their identical drivers/make-up the panning is smooth for nice soundstaging. As far as comparison's sake, I can attest that they are much better than the Infinity, Polk satellites that I use to have. Let your ears be the judge and hopefully you agree. Lastly, Fluance's prices on the site are for TWO speakers. I had to double take more than once to make sure that I read it correctly. I also have a pair of the SV-10s and a pair of their centers. I have no qualms about them and am content. Take care and best of luck. Cheers!

7. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

Thanks George for your comments about these speakers. I hope I will have a chance to test them out tomorrow. I planned to play the spacepod scene from Star Wars I to see how they sound. As soon as I test them out, I will tell how I think about them.

perrin

8. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

I finally had the chance of hooking up these speakers to my receiver as I replaced the old bookshelf speakers with these bipolar ones, and I am very pleased with the sound these speakers can do. As soon as I set up my receiver for the 6.1 sound, I noticed a completely different sound system. I put in Star Wars I to play the podrace scene, and it was like watching a totally different system. I also used the one of the old bookshelf speakers as my rear center, and it made great sound system.

If anyone wants to buy these, I would have to say go for it. The price is just right.

In the future, I may plan to replace the fronts and the center with their other models. I am glad Fluance makes these great speakers at very low prices.

perrin

9. SusanS

SusanS Auditioning

Perrin,
    Did you place the Fluance surrounds on the wall behind you, or the side walls? And how far up from the listening position? Thanks.

Susan

10. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Susan,

I live in an apartment which has some built-in bookshelves in the living room, and I put the speakers on the second shelf. I would say it is about 2 feet above me where I sit on the couch. So far, I am very happy with these speakers because it makes you really feel you are in a regular theater. When I was playing Star Wars I DVD from the podrace scene, I could really hear the crowd roaring while the race was going on, and I could hear more of the pods racing around then I did with the other regular Fluance AV-HTB bookshelf speakers. Finally, I would say these are awesome speakers. If you are interested in them, go ahead and ordered them. You'll be very happy with them too.

perrin