1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

fluance arrived 30 min ago

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by WilliamMc, Feb 3, 2004.

1. WilliamMc

WilliamMc Stunt Coordinator

The SX-htb is finally here! I was quite terrifed looking at the condition of the larger box. It had several large gouges which broke through both layers of boxes, and I could feel bare speakers through the holes [​IMG] The UPS guy just shook his head and offered his sympathy. After an agonizing 5 minutes of opening the boxes, I was shooked to find that all was well. No chips, scratches, or pushed in tweeter domes. Whooo, what a releif. The shipment was from Canada all the way to Florida, and I had been having bad visions of UPS workers kicking my speakers all week long! I'm glad thats all over.

As to the speakers, I'm afraid I too had the same passe reaction as others have . WOW! [​IMG] These things look terrific! I was a little concerned that they would not look as well made as the pics, but they really do look even better. Like nothing you would see at best buy, but rather more like the phase tech pc line or maybe axioms. I don't want to go overboard here, but I'm looking at the mains right now and wow! Warning... the color is nothing like the pics. They are NOT blonde, but rather a honey color, which is a dead on match to my computer room furniture. Later today I'll hook them up and hope the sound quality matches what I'm seeing. Here's one samll gripe[​IMG] although the 4" drivers in the center are poly coated as specified, the drivers in the surrounds are NOT coated. I wonder if they ran out of the poly drivers?. Can any owners comment on this issue. I'm not to concerned about this at the moment as I'm just thrilled that they didn't arrive smashed.

2. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Keep us informed. thanks.

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I had the same sense of relief when I saw the colour as well. The sound will improve in a week when they're broken in.

4. WilliamMc

Ian, are your surround mid woofers poly coated?

5. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

No they're not. I just read the specs at Fluance. It says the center and main drivers are poly-coated.

6. WilliamMc

I've lived with the new apeakers for a week now and I'm pretty darn impressed. I think the mains have broken in. I'm not a big believer in "break in" voodoo, but I do believe I'm hearing ALOT more base now. I wish I had some very expensive speakers to compare them to. I have compared them to my BIG klipsch synergy mains. These are not the smaller ones at Best buy, but rather the much larger ones that were only availible at audio shops. (dual 8" woofers per tower) A quick comparison seems to show that the fluance mains sound at least as good. Here's the strange part. The fluance mains seem to go lower than the Klipsch and have a stronger midbass? I'm surprized by this, as the klipcshs' have much bigger woofers. In closing, I'll give these speakers a thumbs up. When I finish building my home addition for a dedicated HT with the 120" screen, I want to do a maggie or martin logan setup, but for a living room HT, I really would have no desire for anything else and I'm a picky guy!

7. Adam W

Adam W Stunt Coordinator

At UPS we do not kick boxes, we step on, throw, and drop your box.[​IMG]
    Seriously though, I would always recommend if you are getting something through UPS that you get it shipped air, air packages don't get tossed around as much.