What's new

Florida Speaker Blues (1 Viewer)

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
So I pulled down the stretch cloth on both stereo towers (yeah,I know) and sure 'nuff the outer rim of the speakers have completely deteriorated.
Florida is hot and very humid and I'm sure that contributed to the speakers demise. (as well as general old age.) I'm sure the three week period in which hurricane Charlie left us without electric and a/c didn't help either.
Since I really have to replace the whole HT arena (TV,DVD,Rx)in my home, I can only allot about $1000 US for speaker replacement. I'm looking primarily at a 5.1 set up. Actually a considerable step up for me.
The HT area is 2500 cu ft which Ls off to another 960 cu ft dining area. Total 3460 cu ft.
What is important, if possible, is some future proofing that might address the particular conditions of the area in which I live.
Any guidance and suggestions would be appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Antonio,

Parts Express sells kits to replace the deteriorated surrounds for about $20. I’ve resurrected numerous old speakers that way.

That particular surround material (a kind of foam) is typically good for at least 15 years. I think a lot of speakers these days use different surround materials. So to answer your question, don’t buy a speaker that uses that foam surround material.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne. These two floor standing monoliths are just about 18 years old. I'm about ready to trade them for some nice wall mounts. Can't argue with the price 'though.

Certainly good advice. Havn't checked out the material specs on various speakers yet. Surfing the HTF threads to get an idea on prices and quality. Posted in order to address the rot problem as I couldn't find much on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks