What's new

floppy-not-working-why? (1 Viewer)

Rich E

Agent
In the process of fixing my cdrom my floppy drive stopped working. I confess I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to actually taking these things apart and fiddling with the insides.
anyway, I've tried the ribbon cable which connects the drive to the mother board in several different positions and none of them seem to work.
Each time I re-start the computer the green light on the drive is either on or off, regardless of this each time I click on the floppy icon the drive does not respond.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
First of all, check the most obvious thing - cabling.
I've had this before. Scratched my head for an hour before realising the connector cable was attatched to the floppy drive the wrong way up. It's easy to get it correct on the motherboard because of the slot groove, but sometimes the interface on floppy drives doesn't make it clear which way around it's supposed to go.
Try it. Worth ruling out if nothing else.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The ribbon cable has a colored stripe on one edge. This edge indicates the "Pin 1" side of the connector. The pin numbers may be marked on the motherboard, and on the drive pin 1 is on the closest edge to the power connector.
If the floppy drive light stays on continuously, this usually means the cable is on backwards.
KJP
------------------
MAR: Mutilated Aspect Ratio. Opposite of OAR. Describes the MARring of film releases by not releasing them in the original aspect ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks