Floppy diskette drive no longer works

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Neil Joseph, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When I put in a diskette and try to read it, it says no diskette in drive after a few seconds. Control panel device manager says all devices including floppy drive and floppy controller working ok.

So, I tried removing the device in control manager and re-installing it. Same thing. I tried removing both the floppy and floppy controller and reinstalling both. Same problem.

I have another new floppy diskette drive so I removed the old one and installed the new one. Add hardware wizard picked it up with no problem. It still does not work. All diskettes I put into it end in the same result... "no diskette in drive"

What am I missing?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It seems I am a step closer. I had checked the bios but I did not think of setting 3rd mode support as I had though it was for Japan 1.2Mb only. Anyway, I set it to 3rd mode. Now when I pop in a diskette, it says diskette is not formatted, do you want to format now? When I pop in a diskette, it does not display the contents like I want it to though.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Problem is now fixed. I replaced flopy i/o cable and set 3rd mode to disable.