What's new

Floppy dirve not getting power? (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hey all,

I installed a replacement motherboard in my computer today, and after hooking everything back up there was something weird that happened.

Once I booted up into Win2K (it was already installed on my Hard Drive) the floppy drive icon didn't show up in Explorer. So, I figured it had just messed up and restarted paying attention to what was going on when booting. Anyways, the floppy dirve is not getting any power (the green light doesn't come on) I tried connecting another drive, but the same thing happened. No green light.

So, what the heck could be wrong? How could there be no power going to my floppy drive, yet everything else works fine?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to go into the BIOS and make sure the floppy drive is enabled.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Another obvious thing to check would be that both the power and interface cables are connected to the floppy drive... :)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You've probably got the floppy connector cable attatched the wrong way around on the back of the drive.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Here's the thing though, when I changed the mobo, I didn't remove any cables from the drive itself. Only the cable connecting it to the mobo was removed(obviously). Now, the cable can only go into the mobo on way, so nothing is connected backwards.

In the BIOS there are options for AUTO, Disable, and then for the various floppy disc sizes (ie. 1.44, 1.2, 720, etc)

But, no matter what is selected I would assume that the power light on the drive itself should at least come on, since there should be power going to it regardless.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Heh, I got it working.
Here's what the problem was.
By default it was set to 'auto' which obviously didn't work.
So I changed that setting to enable. For whatever reason though, I neglected to change the size setting to (1.44/1.25 3 1/2") which I left on disable. :rolleyes
I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Anyways, thanks for the input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks