Floorstandings and Bookshelves

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Marshall, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

What difference is there in sound and effects between the two. Why get a floorstanding if you have a subwoofer and why do so many floorstandings have woofers in them?

2. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I'm guessing that the size of the box allows floorstanding speakers to get a much fuller, deeper midrange/bass than a bookshelf. But I may be wrong.

3. John S

John S Producer

Hmmm, I like bookshelf speakers that deliver the exact same punch as floorstanders.

I use JBL S38's all the way around.

8" Woofs, 3 way design.

But in general bookshelf speakers should not really be confused with what I call Satalite Speakers, which tend to be much smaller than bookshelf speakers, and seldom have larger than a 4" MidBass in them for the lowest frequncy driver.

4. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

I've also wondered about this.

When i was auditioning my B&Ws, the 602 S3's sounded beautiful (a 49-20kz bookshelf, though it is rather large).. then i auditioned the 603, and 602.5... I was not impressed, and the sound from the 602 was much more clean than that from the lower end floor standers... and it was also MUCH cheaper.

Maybe that's just an exception of the 602, since it does have a rather large cabinet, and a larger driver than the floor stand models in the 600 series (7inches instead of 6.5).

5. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

6. Allen Marshall

i guess my major concern is music, can bookshelves give that overwhelming sound and loudness that makes you feel like an inferior being??
    i would love to get bookshelfs if they cost less and sound better (ex: $1,500 floorstanding to a $1,500 bookshelf), if i got bookshelves i could move my home theater into my family room which i feel a bit more combfortable, bit i do love the looks and mass of towers, fierce looking and what not.

i have Athena AS-F2's for fronts and AS-B1's for rears.

i hooked them up to my brother's 200x2 amp to see what they could do with music and the AS-B1's were callin it quits when it got to 70% as loud as i wanted them to go, AS-F2's get 95% the way there but man they start to distort like a signal from mars.

if i do decide i want to go after bookshelves i've been payiing alot of attention to those paradigm reference bookshelves who's names i dont recall funny enough and the Onix Ref 1's but i need more opinions maybe even suggestions on some bookshelves

7. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

Another thing interesting about bookshelves is that manufacturer's can concentrate on making the mids and highs sound good because they don't have to worry about the very low end sound range.

8. Andrew*L

Andrew*L Agent

I think the design of floorstanding speakers has several advantages:

[​IMG] With greater internal volume, and also exterior real estate, floorstanding speakers can accomodate more drivers, enabling fuller coverage of the audible range.

[​IMG] The additional volume serves dual use as an integrated speaker stand, elevating the tweeter to the appropriate height for normal listening.

On the other hand, bookshelf speakers have their own set of benefits:

[​IMG] Allows more flexible placement in small rooms.

[​IMG] Better sound per buck ratio than floorstanders, albeit at the expense of less lower frequency reproduction.

Ultimately, its difficult (and not entirely helpful) to determine whether floorstanders and bookshelf speakers are better, as each is designed for different purposes.

Like comparing apples and oranges.....

Me personally?...I prefer floorstanders[​IMG]

9. Tyler M.

Tyler M. Agent

I prefer floorstanders, because I've noticed that the sound is a lot fuller than bookshelves, and I like the powered sub within the tower, other than having a seperate woofer.

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I must have a weird couch because "optimally" designed floorstanders always have their tweeters at chest level when I measure them.

11. Allen Marshall

why are tweeters supposed to be at ear level? i dont have 1 tweeter in my setup that is anywhere close to being level with my ears, and what about movie theaters, there speakers are way up there?

12. Andrew*L

Andrew*L Agent

Sure, different seating arrangements, and your own personal body size is going to affect how the tweeters match up to your ears. A speaker manufacturer can only design around the "average" listener and listening environment. The intent is to get the tweeters (which emit very directional high frequency sound) directed in the general location of where your head will be when you are seated.

Note too, that most speaker manufacturers will design their bookshelf speaker stands to again get the tweeter at the general height of your head when your are seated, which also tends to be the same height their floorstanders are.

(Check out the 600/700/800 Series B&W speakers on their website. They show thumbnails of their bookshelf and floorstanders side by side.)

In your case, it sounds to me you're setup is just fine. [​IMG]

13. Andrew*L

Andrew*L Agent

Please see my previous post. Also, you are right, the speakers you see in movie theaters are elevated over the audience. These are the surround channels used for creating the diffused surround effects. However, the Left/Right/Front speakers you don't see behind the movie screen are aimed at the audience. For a better explanation on speaker placement, check out the Dolby website. I'm having problems posting hyperlinks on this message, so I'll leave a description how to navigate to the appropriate pages: [​IMG]

1. Go to Dolby.com
    2. Select "Home Theater" under the "Consumer" heading in the side menu bar.
    3. Select the "Speaker Placement" hyperlink

I'd encourage you to try experimenting with this. I did, and was fairly amazed how different the sound stage can be manipulated by changing the location and orientation of the front speakers.[​IMG]