Floorstanding vs Bookshelf

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JustinSC, Mar 21, 2005.

1. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

I'm thinking about starting a HT project. I am wondering what the pros and cons are for floorstanding vs bookshelf speakers. I have always liked the look of floorstanding speakers but it seems like there are more projects for bookshelf speakers. Any information/help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Audibly, there aren't any pros or cons. Most drivers available for DIY don't require large boxes. You can build any bookshelf as a floorstander just by extending it down.

3. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

You mean by sealing it and extending it right? So the volume is the same?

4. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

5. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Right, essentially just building the stand into the speaker.

6. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

Well normally floorstanding speakers use the full enclosure space. I'm guessing it would have better low end response?

7. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

If built right, absolutely. I built a pair of Adire 281 towers, as well as a 281 sealed center speaker. The towers have a MUCH lower response, and are much more enjoyable to listen to. So much so that I don't run my SVS sub while listening to music.

If space isn't an issue, go with floorstanders.

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Hey, A bookshelf can actually be put on a shelf... (well small ones at least)

A while ago I helped my friend with a pair of DIY Jordan bookshelf speakers that are now his computer speakers. He puts them on a bookshelf which saves space. hehe

The floorstanding speakers do have a con, and that is they are sort of "fixed" at a certain height. Bookshelves you can put on various height stands if you want the tweeter to be a certain level. Floorstanding speakers are also harder to move around if you're picky about position, or if you like to carry them to peoples houses for demos.

One benefit I do see floorstanding speakers to have is generally they have more bass, and some are full range which means no separate subwoofer needed for music.

Bookshelves also are more "builder" friendly if you plan on making the cabinets.