Floorstanding or Bookshelf Speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John_Griff, Apr 21, 2004.

1. John_Griff

John_Griff Stunt Coordinator

Which ones should one buy?? does it depend on the room size or other factors?? Sorry, I be a newbie. I already have speakers I want to use as my rear speakers and I'm running a Denon 3803 as my receiver.

2. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

It depends on several factors. Most of the pure HT guys running around the forum will tell you that bookshelves mated with a good sub will give you what you neeed for movies. The music guys like the towers as some prefer to listen to music without the sub. Room size does make a difference. The towers will have the ability to play lower and fill the room a bit more if you don't have a sub. WAF and personnal preference are also to be considered.

I had bookshelves and a sub and didn't feel like the upper bass and lower mid was being played as well as it should be on movies. I switched to towers and it did the job. I probably could have gotten a better sub and also fixed my problem. Lot's of ways to skin this cat.

Michael

3. John_Griff

thanks

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I started out looking for floorstanders and ended up with bookshelf speakers because for the same money, I could not find a pair of floorstanders with the same imaging, clarity and depth of soundstage that my Boston Acoustics VR-M60s gave me. Plus, a good bookshelf can have pretty decent bass extension (had to look to see if a sub was hidden in the room when auditioning several different bookshelf speakers, including my own--others were B&W CM2s, Paradigm Monitor 5s, Paradigm Studio 20s). However, good bass in a bookshelf speaker is not inexpensive, so budget does come into play. How much music will you listen to through your system? That can be an important factor. Most importantly, trust your ears. Pick out some tracks you know extremely well, go out and audition.

Have fun.[​IMG]

5. John_Griff

I would say right now the receiver is 25% music, 35% TV, 40% XBOX. Sad that I don't watch more movies!

6. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

It depends on what you currently have. I believe you get the best surround sound if your 5 main speakers are the same, or at least have the same components. I think this is especially true for your 3 front speakers.

7. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I think that anyone that tells you bookshelves are better suited for movies and towers are better suited for music is blowing some serious smoke up your a$$. There is just as much midrange and low-end in movies as there is in music that you'll benefit from with towers, not to mention plenty of movies have plenty of music (ambience, etc.).

I used to have bookshelves, but then decided to go with towers for my fronts because the cost of bookshelves + stands would've been the same price as the towers (JBL S310II towers vs. JBL S38II bookshelves + stands). I am so glad I made the choice to go with towers, as I experience much, much more midrange and low-end than I ever did with bookshelves, and it truly improves my movie watching experience.

I'm 80% movies, 15% XBox and 5% music. Seeing as how you're more XBox than anything else, your XBox gaming experience will truly benefit from towers over bookshelves (explosions, etc.), assuming you are using a digital audio connection from your XBox to your receiver.

Factor in the cost of towers vs. the cost of bookshelves + stands. If the towers will cost just a little more or the same as the bookshelves + stands route, definitely go for the towers. You'll be very pleased with the results.