Floorstanding and PB10 with music

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Himanshu_S, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

Whenever I play music that contains bass, the bass from the front speakers seems low. If I direct the bass to the PB10 by setting the fronts to small, the bass kicks in but then it's too much bass. Is there a way to have the fronts output more bass? I would like to use only the fronts for listening to music. If I play at loud volume, the bass is there but so is the vocal which is kinda harsh to listen to. My receiver is HTR-5790. Fronts are Klipsch Synergy F3's. I have not calibrated my system using Avia but have done it using receiver's calibration system. I will calibrate it using avia when I get a chance but for now that shouldn't be a concern.

Thanks,
    Himanshu

2. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

You need to turn the bass down on the sub so it blends in with your mains. You can get it in the ballpark by adjusting the gain on the sub amp and further adjust it using your reciever. Hope that helps!

3. Max F

Max F Second Unit

You can always set your speakers to large and set the crossover on the sub. Oh wait, there is no crosover on the PB10, doh![​IMG]

Oh well, if you did it that way people here would think you were crazy or something. How dare you set your speaker to large when they don't go down to 20hz![​IMG]

4. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

So the speakers are always set to small even if I have floorstanding speakers? This would be OK for movies I suppose but for stereo music as well? I will try playing around with the gain on the sub. The bass settings for the movies is pretty good but I guess for music it's too much. Oh well. thanks for the replies.

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Himanshu_S,

If the bass is too much for music, odds are you're running the sub hot (you'd be far from the first person to like a hot sub for movies, but not for music). When you get a chance, definitely calibrate with Avia. Depending on your receiver, it might be able to remember different settings for different formats (so when you're watching a movie it's a few dB hot, and when you're listening to music, it's flat). If not, you can adjust the output from the receiver to the sub depending on your material. The SVS PB10-ISD is an extremely accurate subwoofer that performs wonderfully with music when the system is calibrated correctly with mains set to small.

-Robb

6. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Sorry Himanshu_S, i was being a little sarcastic. Some of us do like to set our mains to large (for various reasons). I set mine to large mainly cause my receiver crossover is stuck at 100Hz which is way too high. However, if the sub does not have a crossover I wouldn't recommend setting speakers to large. Just remember these are not hard and fast rules - go with what sounds best.

Find separate sub levels for music (CDs) and for movies. Most of us have the sub output level lower for music. You may consider getting an equalizer to tame some of the peaks in the frequency response if the sub sounds too boomy or fat with music. You will find that you can turn up the sub more with music (and enjoy it) when it is well equalized. Do a search on this site for BFD.

7. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

My PB10 has a crossover setting.

8. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Ed, hows that possible? Is your PB10 one of the earlier or test models?? I also recieved my PB 10 yesterday and it doesnt have a crossover setting, and the same is mentioned at the SvS website as well.

9. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Oops. Spoke to soon. I thought the phase control was the crossover. What is the difference?

10. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Ed,

Phase simply varies the "timing" of the bass waves. Think of it as a sort of delay mechanism.

If you are running all speakers as "Small" in your setup the range of frequencies where cancellation is an issue in your room will be fairly small (think of a two bass waves, say one coming from your mains, and one coming from your sub arriving just differntly enough in time that they "cancel" each other out, like two big waves colliding in a pool).

If you are running your mains as "Large" or runnning TWO subwoofers in different spots in your room then phase induced cancellation can be pretty extreme and vary from frquency to frequency. This is why we typically recommend that users run dual subs with them side by side... so they act as one sub, and eliminate phase adjustment difficulty (though you do still have to make sure they are set to run in "synch" and not fight each other).

Adjusting phase can be tricky, and is generally only done by ear unless you have real time frequency analysis gear to see where your room's peaks and valleys are.

It is not related to crossover.

Ron

11. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Thanks Ron. I feel honored to have a question answered by "The Man"