What's new

Flooring in HT question (1 Viewer)

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
I bought DRIcore 2x2' wood flooring panels to use as a sub-floor for carpeting and padding in my HT room. I have not installed the DRIcore yet and am having second thoughts. I will be building a stage and rear seating riser soon in my 12.5' x 24.5' x 7.0' room. The floor is linoleum tile over concrete which is never damp.

My question is, can I still have a comfortable room without the DRIcore? I know I won't feel the bass as much without the wood sub-floor. I may get some butt-kickers for my sofa in the future. I would like to hear some comments from those of you who have carpet on concrete and how you like it.

I still have time to return the DRIcore which I spent $450.

Dan

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Hey Dan,

My original floor was carpet over concrete and it was bloody cold in the winter!! And, as I see you are from Michigan which is north of Toronto, I'm sure you can appreciate the extra warmth the DRIcore has added to my basement. I would say it's added 3 to 4 degrees celcius to my temperature and has reduced moisture levels, especially in the summertime when humidty in TO is just stupid :)

I highly reccommend the DRIcore product. :emoji_thumbsup:
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Andrew

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Andrew,

You wiped away my buyers remorse! A warm and cozy HT room is what I want and that is what I will get. I will begin installing the DRIcore this week.

Dan

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Hey Dan,

Yup, no problems. A couple of suggestions for the install:

1 - Use a tablesaw. It will save you time, boards and angst :)
2 - Buy lots of levelling squares. Remember, you can always return what you don't use.
3 - Have a really, really, really long level. It will be your best friend.
4 - If you don't have one, get yourself a little 'cats paw'. Great tool, very handy in corners :emoji_thumbsup:
5 - Lots of beer :D Actually, that's the first point. Everything is 'suggested', beer is mandatory
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Let me know if you have any other questions. There's also a funny little instruction video you can watch, that the kind folks at The Home Despot (don't know where you bought the boards) have for your viewing pleasure. It's a typical industrial instructional, but it's got some good suggestions and tips.

Happy boarding!
Cheers,
Andrew

Scott Sox

Auditioning
I would go with it over concrete just for the comfort factor. If your floor is not relatively level to start installation could be a pain. My floor was way out of level, so I used 2X4 sleepers and 3/4" plywood under carpet. Makes for a floor that does not feel like a basement floor.

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,

The floor in my HT room slopes in all directions towards the floor drain, which is almost in the center of the room. From the screen wall to the drain (about 12')the floor drops about 4". I do not want to lose the extra ceiling height this drain slope gives me. Can I assume the DRIcore will follow the contour of the floor with no real problems? I'm sure I will have to put a shim square here and there but if I have to raise the panels more than one or two shims, I won't do it.

I bought a floor drain plug that has an expandable rubber ring to seal the hole. This drain is never used. I have another drain in my laundry room if needed.

I do have a table saw.

Thanks again,

Dan

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Dan,

Yup, it pretty much follows the contour of the floor, at least it did with mine. I just tried to make it as level as possible and I don't really notice the slope or varying degrees in levelness :)

Just make sure to step on the seams of the boards to make sure they don't collapse too much. It's really easy to install.

Your table saw will come in handy!
Cheers,
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks