What's new

Floor Standing Speakers? (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Since many people suggest setting a receiver's speaker setting to SMALL and allowing the subwoofer to handle ALL bass and low frequencies, what would be the point in spending money on a descent pair of large floor standing speakers (around $2000 each) if you're only going to set them to SMALL with the receiver?

Usage.....80% Home Theater and TV viewing, 20% Music

Darren_T

Second Unit
I'm far from the authority on this topic but I believe if you were to listen to HT the majority of the time then towers would indeed be a waste. In my opinion, full range or near full range towers are best for music, they are also great for HT but best utilized for music without a sub. When a sub comes into the picture satellite speakers are the best choice as they can be specialized for vocal and midrange accuracy without having to consider frequencies below say... 50 or 60hz. This can clean up the midrange considerably.
So I guess my summary would be: Get towers if you listen to mostly music and don't wish to have a sub in the mix. Get a sub with sattelites if you are a HT buff or wish to have the extension a sub provides.
I'm sure there are more technical people out there that can elaborate or rebuff me but that's my take anyway. :)
Darren

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Ah, this question comes up every week :)
I'll start and you other forumites chime in :D
There are a few points to be made here. Some are my opinion, some are fact.
>>>allowing the subwoofer to handle ALL bass and low frequencies

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks