Floor standing speakers - Sand or Lead Shot?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Darren Pillans, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Darren Pillans

Darren Pillans Second Unit

I have a pair of Monitor Audio floor standers (PMC 703).

They have a built-in cavity for filling.

I've put off filling them for ages and know the bass isn't what it should be.

Should I use sand or lead?

What are the pros and cons?

How will the sound differ with each?

Thanks in advance.

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I'd use sand. I doubt there's much difference sound-wise, but environmentally, sand has no ill effects when the inevitable discard occurs. And sand will fill the cavity completely, since the grains will completely 'interlock', unlike the lead shot, which would probably leave minute spaces between the pieces.

I know I'm being overly cautious, but why chance breathing in even small amounts of the lead dust if you don't have to?

You should post back as to the difference in sound after the cavity is filled. I'm curious as to the difference it makes...

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Of course with lead one needs to be careful (I did fill an audio rack with it once). I've actually filled that same audio rack with sand, lead and one with Target Heavy Metal stuff (which along with Target racks I guess is no longer made) and I did not notice lots of difference at least with a rack. With a speaker that has wood on the inside of the chamber, I would likely go with sand that is dry and avoid things that my be more prone to either retain moisture or oxidize over time. I've filled a bunch of speakers with sand and on most designed with such a chamber it makes a nice difference.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i have issues with lead as it would create an environmental disposal hazzard.

5. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Darren;

Lead is toxic! Toxic to you, your children, your pets. Even if you don't have any of the above, always go with sand.

JaimeB

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    When asking around about this for my new stands, I found that there were extremely few stores that would, and could carry lead, while sand is easily obtainable.