Floor Standing L/R with No Sub, Don't you lose Bass from other channels

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Greg_Ritchie, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Greg_Ritchie

Greg_Ritchie Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I was reading one of the other threads about the Paradigm Monitor 7's going to 33hz so skip the sub until you can afford a good one. Is there not low bass in all 5 channels? I'm assuming that if there is no crossover the bass for the center and surround channels would just get lost? Am I missing something? Also wouldn't the .1 LFE Channel not get used?

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Yes...there is bass coming from the other channels. Not usually a lot from the surrounds, but the center can and does handle a fair amount.

The LFE, I am not sure where those signals would end up.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Crossover is not a global thing, on most current receivers, you are able to set size for mains, center and surrounds separately. LFE will be redirected to the mains in this case, as will bass information. Not sure how bass from surrounds would be handled.

The 7s have plenty of punch, but 33Hz is not quite low enough for movies.

When you say "afford" a sub, what price range are you talking about? You can get some impressive subs in the $400-$500 range.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. John Garcia

John
    Wouldn't the bass be localized if it were too high into the frequency range, creating some odd effects when surround bass information is redirected to the mains? I had never thought about this until this question was asked, since I have always had a sub.

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

8. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

I believe LFE is actually a separate channel of "Sub-Bass" that was developed for movie theaters. It would therefore be lost if not directed to a subwoofer. That doesn't mean all bass information would be lost. Just the separate channel intended for the subwoofer. I believe this was originally bass that was meant more for kinetic purposes - meaning you feel it more than you hear it.

Doug

9. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

10. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Is that -3db at 33hz? If it is, I would asume there is a usable low frequecy etension when coupled with the room placement. Maybe -10db at 25hz? I'm totaly guessing at this. I have Phase Technology PC 9.1's with no sub and the low frequencies are there for movies (and music). I can't tell you the exact frequency at the lowest, but I don't feel I NEED a sub just yet. (the 9.1's are rated at -3db at 32hz). Maybe because I have a small room, but the bass is more then adequate for now. Don't get me wrong, I know i'm missing some of the very lowest bass, but there is alot of impact without a sub. I still get that bass you feel more than hear.

11. John Garcia

John
    Yes, -3 is 33Hz. They MIGHT get to -10 at 25Hz, but that still misses most of the bottom octave. For music, this is fine to me, but for movies, you are missing part of the most entertaining octave [​IMG]

12. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I probably don't know what I'm missing. I am an apartment dweller at this point, and an SVS now would be a lease breaker.

13. John Garcia

John
    I'm an apartment dweller as well...[​IMG] I'm on the top floor, and I'm sure my downstairs neighbor probably doesn't love my HSU VTF-2 a whole lot. After 10pm, I usually turn the sub off and set the mains to large so that it doesn't get out of hand. I'm not entirely inconsiderate [​IMG]