Floor standers for front projector OK?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EricTownsend, Mar 22, 2005.

1. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

OK, getting down to the nitty gritty before I start purchasing my HT equipment. (My room is about 33Lx22Wx8H).

So far, I am planning on using the Sanyo PL-Z3 projector
    with a Pioneer VSX-56TXi and a Pioneer 47AVi player.
    Speakers have been the biggest hold up. So, I really like the Salk MTM and MT setup which will run me about to $4k for a 7.1 setup :-( ... Some other alternatives that are more mainstreem are: Infinity Kappa 600's or the Klipsch Synergy III F-3's series that will drop my speaker budget almost in half. Now, here is the real question:

With a projector screen being mounted on the wall and using floor standing speakers, would that be odd? If I went with the Salks I would mount them around the screen. I am worried about the dialog not "matching". Is this not really a concern because it is not really possible to tell?
    Thanks!

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Anytime you get the speakers away from the wall is better. Mounting speakers to the wall is usually never the best place. As long as you have the room, place the fronts 1-2 feet out. Get a center speaker stand that you can pull away from the wall a little as well.

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

No. That's how I have my HT setup. My towers are about 1-2 feet away from the wall though.

4. EricTownsend

Sweet. Thanks. I added up my current speaker choices and here is what I have:

Klipsch Synergy III series 7.1 = $1929 from BBuy
    Infinity Kappa series 7.1 = $3202 from Internet
    Salk HTS series 7.0 = $3900 + SVS sub = $4900

Factoring in the cost of the receiver, PJ, DVD and cabling, I think I would try the Synergy III series. Any other speaker suggestions for a max budget of around $2500 for a 7.1 system? $3000 is possible, but only if I streeetttch.

Thanks again!!

5. Vishal Shah

Vishal Shah Extra

If you like the sound of the Klipsch line, I would recommend the Acoustech line by BIC America. You can read a review on them here:
    audaud.com/audaud/MAR04/component/comp1.html
    and can also find various threads on this and other forums. Amazon and buy.com carry this particular setup.

6. EricTownsend

Vishal Shah, those BIC's are tempting. Do you have them?

7. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

-That's not true :b
    [​IMG]

8. Sean Mc

Sean Mc Agent

Ascend acoustics 340s up front and 170s for surrounds with an SVS sub (PB-12) ~$2000

9. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I'll second the Ascend Acoustics. You can find more info on the Ascend Forum. Those Maggies in Mike's picture would also be a good thing to listen to.

10. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    One of our vendors Plasmadocs has some great package deals with the Ascend line and SV Subwoofers.

I agree with Chris about the Maggies. If you haven't heard them you at least need to give your ears a treat.

Another thing that people haven't mentioned is that you might want to look into getting a micro perf screen. This will allow you to put your center channel behing the screen so that the dialogue is coming out of the screen at you.

Parker

11. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

You may want to check out KEF speakers.

I just purchased the KEF Q11 (4 way main speaker towers), KEF Q2ds (Dipole surround speakers with a downward firing bass driver) and KEF Q10c center channel. I think these speakers sound great for dvd's or cd's! Total cost, around $2500.

I will be buying one or two SVS subwoofers in the near future.

Dan

12. EricTownsend

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I am familiar with, and like, the KEF line but I haven't found anyone who carries them. Dan, where did you get yours?

I will also research the others. This is a pretty good time to be buying HT speakers even though there are so many out there, the prices are great.

13. John S

John S Producer

Big room.. Think both efficiency and power when buying...
    Maybe even extrenal amplification, especially with lesser efficient speakers. The Sub, don't skimp at all. Go big and powerfull.

Both will be the key to bliss. [​IMG]
    Man, that's a big room. Should be pure awesome when done, but the audio requirements are pretty demanding.

14. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

I purchased my KEF's at the Gramophone, a higher end a/v store in Birmingham MI.

I checked the KEF site and the nearest stores (only 2) are located in Boise.

Dan

15. EricTownsend

Thanks for the info Dan. I'll make some phone calls. The other problem is not being able to purchase equipment in person. Most companies do not want to sell via online or phone... One disadvantage of living in a smaller town.

John S... Sometimes I wish the room were smaller! I have thought about reducing the size (depth mostly) by adding a wall, but I will do that as a last resort. I may up my budget a bit to allow for larger equipment, but I would like to avoid going to "flagship" equipment just to get the job done; (and I don't think I will have to anyway).

16. Vishal Shah

Vishal Shah Extra

Yes I do and I love them. Absolute fantastic sound for the money. I am going to be upgrading the sub very soon though.