Floor speakers for $600

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Oachalon, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

Alright my front speakers now are klh towers with the 15inch in them. Its the older stuff. They are probably about 7 years old now. They sound decent for klh but i want to upgrade. There arent a lot of places by me to listen. Ive done the searches looked at all different speakers and its hard to choose. Ive heard the athena as-f2 i think the model is. It was pretty good. Ive also listened to the new yamaha ns-777. It was also pretty good. This was in bestbuy so its kinda hard to tell a speaker. I want them to be floorstanding, and i have about $600 to spend. The speakers will be connected to a denon 2802. Im probably 70% music 30% ht. Whatever fronts i get i will later get the center to match the fronts. Any people have any other suggestions for a nice set of floorstanding speakers around $600. I already have a sub its a tempest in a 7.8cubic ft box tuned to 15.4hz that i made. Budget is a concern for them since im an 18 year old in college.

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

You have a good receiver there so thats good. I doubt you will be able to get decent floor standers for $600 a pair. I could be wrong and hope if so someone here with better insight will help out. Have you though of a bookshelf with a sub set up. You might be able to do something like that for close to what you need to get to. You might be surprised at how good they sound now compaired to the old days. Good luck.

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Do you like the way these look?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Oachalon

what are they. They dont look bad.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Well....it is actually a bookshelf speaker from Ascend Acoustics, the left/right version of CMT-340, with a its matching stand. It locks to the stand, and the stand is sand fillable.

It is not on their website...only the center channel version is, but is available if you call them, and the 30 day trial is the same.

6. Oachalon

i just went to best buy again and listened to the yamahas and the athenas again. I also listened to klipsch. I dont like the way the klipsch sound. I just was there going back and forth between the yamaha and the athena. its so hard to make a decision. The yamaha was in a better setup. They had the athenas too far apart and one was at an angle and the other was straight ahead. The athena from the setup i thought sounded better in the midrange area. The yamaha sounded better in the higher range. To me it sounded like the athenas were more laid back compared to the yamahas. They were both played on a yamaha receiver. I forget which model. I dont know. Best buys setup is terrible. Its so hard to choose.

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Use Best Buy's 30-day refund policy and try the speakers in your own home.

8. Oachalon

yeah i probably will try that. Right now im aiming at the athenas. We will see though.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I think you should get out of best buy and into a real store. I won't knock the athenas, since the reviews sound ok, and i've not heard them, but im not a big fan of klipsch (love em or hate em), and yamaha speakers... naw. I recommend you not limit yourself to floor-standing speakers only, as there are many a great bookshelf speaker out there, and since you have a sub, you may not really NEED all the extra bass (and cost $$$$) of a floorstanding as opposed to some smaller speakers. I recommend you go to some smaller specialty dealers and listen to as much as you can very carefully. Obviously, the BB setups are pretty pathetic as you mentioned.

I'm not familiar with ascends, so ill let others recommend them. My standard recommendation is paradigm for buyers on a budget (like myself, i'm in college too). All-around solid speakers for quite a bargain even at full MSRP. You could easily get a floorstander from the performance series, or something a line up like mini-monitors ($350/pr) or maybe monitor 7's. I forget exactly how much they are, i'm thinking around $650 for the pair. You should find a paradigm dealer via their dealer locator(www.paradigm.ca), and take a very careful listen to both lines(with a large variety of music), i think you'll be surprised. Then, you should try to listen to as mony other brands out there as well, and let your tastes decide. Another benefit, is that most paradigm dealers, and specialty dealers in general have good trade-in programs, so you can trade in your speakers later for full-value towards an upgrade. You might, using paradigm just as an example, get monitor 7s, and then a much cheaper center from the performance series, then upgrade the center when you've saved up some more $$.

Take a listen, and take your time.

10. Jason Kolczak

Check out the Boston VR-1. They retail for $600 and are on sale right now at Tweeter.

11. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have heard Paradigms, and feel that the Ascends and Axioms offer far more value. But I also realize buying net direct is not for everyone.

Chris is right. Try to get into an audio store and listen to other stuff. That is the best thing for a shopper to do.

12. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

Oachalon,
    I agree that those Athena's sound better than the Yamaha's. I almost got them but then I decided that I like the sound of the JBL S-310II's instead. Does your Best Buy carry the JBL's? I think they may only carry the Northridge series now but they may have some of the Studio series left over. If you get a chance to listen to them and decide that you like them you can pick them up at jandr.com or b&hphoto.com for around $400 a pair. Thats a lot cheaper than what Best Buy sells them for. You can also get the S-CenterII at b&hphoto.com for $139 so you'll stay under your budget and get all 3 front speakers. They offer free shipping on most of the JBL stuff and I got mine in 2 days.

13. Oachalon

I would like to get into an audio place. I know best buy is crap. There really isnt any close audio places around me. A close one to me sells boston, mirage, and m&k. Yes my bestbuy has jbl. They use to carry the studio series. I am not a big fan of the jbl speakers. Ive looked at paradigm, and there is a dealer about 1 1/2 hours away from me. Yeah i have a sub. I was looking at the athenas cause they have dual 8s in them. I know its hard to pin point where bass is coming from but i can tell where its coming from for some reason in my room. I tried yamaha 8inch bookshelves that i got for $20. Couldnt beat that deal, and i didnt like the sound. When i then put the klh there i liked it a lot better because they had some bass and it was in the front stage. I wish i couldnt tell where the bass was coming from. I know in my car i cant tell where its at, but in my room i can. I was looking at floor speakers because then i wouldnt have to buy stands, and i use my front speaker now as a night stand lol. I chose best buy because i heard decent stuff about athena, and cause its about 3min away from me. There is a circuit city right next to best buy also. I didnt really like the selection they had. I took a chance with my speakers in my car. I bought a cdt component set, and i couldnt be happier. Thats what made me want to upgrade the speakers in my room because my speakers in my car sound so great now. I dont know. I dont even know what im talking about and thinking right now. There are so many choices. i was wondering though is denon receivers known to be bright or are they warm. Thanks everyone. If you guys have any speakers u recommend put them on there and i will take a look.

14. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Remember that if you do try the internet ones do not go just for what people tell you. Order several brands and try them out at the same time. Most have a 45 day return policy. Keep the ones you like and return the ones you dont. Sure your out a few shipping bucks but what is that in comparison to finding the speakers that you like and will be living with for a long time.

Try Axiom, Ascend and AV123.. alot of value for the $$ and each have their own following and are great companies.

15. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

I am getting a pair of Energy C-5's from the soundwave for $600, i have auditioned many speakers, and I like the sound of these the best.

16. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You won't find a Onix Rocket floorstanding speaker for under $600, but The Audio Insider has picked up the Swan's Diva line and have added a more affordable Black Cherry Vinyl finish. I just ordered the 4.1s in the Black Cherry for $565 shipped.

The Swan's Diva line is what AV123 replaced with the Onix Rocket line of their own design. The main 2 reasons they were replaced is a.) B&W brought a "trade dress" suit against AV123 because the Swan's Diva top mount tweeter is a key design characteristic of the B&W CDM and Nautalis series. b.) AV123 didn't want to fight a law suit over a brand that wasn't their own design, so they replaced it with the Onix Rocket lineup. None of this is said to take away from the rockets because they are obviously amazing speakers, but the Swan's Divas are still out there and even more affordable than ever (plus the rosewood finish isn't for everyone).

Check out www.theaudioinsider.com for more information.

17. Oachalon

what do you guys think of the axiom m60ti i think the model is. Its $800 at their site. Maybe they would have a b-stock of them that i could maybe get for $600.

18. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

M60ti....Excellent speaker. And if you don't like it...you can send it back.

Their b-stock is generally only 10% off.

19. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

You should definitely check out the Boston Acoustics VR-1's. You could probably get a pair of 'em for around $550 at Tweeters. I own them, they are awesome, great value for their price.
    Click here to check out my review of the VR-1's that I wrote in this forum.

20. Oachalon

i will check them out.