What's new

Floor Model SCD-C333ES? (1 Viewer)

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
I bought one on impulse from Tweeter for 500 bucks...what do you think?

I needed a decent changer. I have been curious about SACD...multichannel doesn't really excite me though. I didnt check around though, do any research, etc.

Is this a worthy unit or could i do better in this price range?

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Christian,

I bought this player in the beginning of Dec '01 for $488.00 + tax from tweeter. At that time they still had some brand new sealed ones so I got mine brand spankin new. This is a discontinued model so I don't think you could of found a better price.

As far as the player goes I love it. It has excellent redbook performance as well as sacd performance. I use mine with a Classe cap151 integrated amp and Vandersteen model 1c loudspeakers. This combo with Catcables silvercats interconnects and Kimber speaker wire makes beautiful music.

The Sony is a great all around player that will play all types of music with ease. In this price range I doubt you will find any better.

Enjoy your new toy, start collecting some sacds, I'm sure your going to love em.

Josh

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Christian, the 'C333ES is a great player with CDs and SACDs, and build quality is first-rate. I bought one for my second system last April, and have been very pleased with it. So, I feel you did well, so long as the unit is fully functional. When Tweeter stores in my area were closing out the demo 'C333ES units a few months ago, I saw three different units with front panel doors that would not close properly. With the carousel drawer closed, the doors were stuck partially open. I also saw a demo 'C555ES in a Tweeter store today with the same problem. Seeing as I have a 'C333ES and 'C555ES, I am hoping that these defects arose from abuse that floor models typically go through.

If you are at all concerned about the reliability of your 'C333ES, Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) sells the current 'C222ES ($800 retail) for $525. Oade Bros. is an authorized Sony dealer. Perhaps you have seen the 'C222ES at Tweeter. It is not built as well as the 'C333ES (or 'C555ES), but it is solid. It is also a good performer. It is a multi-channel player, but of course, it plays CDs and stereo SACDs.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I saw a floor model 333es at GGuys for $399, I was tempted, but just got the 222, so I passed.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rodney, the amazing thing is that Good Guys was blowing out the 'C333ES new-in-box for $400 a few months ago. What a deal.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
keith, your right, actually now that I think of it, the 333es floor model was $299, with the New in box models were $399. Like I said, I was tempted to get the 333 especially at $299, but I had just gotten the 222 a week before.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rodney, $300 was amazing for a demo unit, assuming that the players had not been abused. You did well in picking up the 'C222ES. It's a very good player.

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input everyone...my unit is fully funtional and only has a small scratch on the top of the unit. Aside from that it is working great, fits in the rack and is already burned in. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks