Floaters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Anyone else got 'em? You know, those things in your eyes that float around when you look at the sky, for example. When you try to look at them directly, they sometimes dart away.
    I've got several of them, and I've had them ever since I can remember...

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yes, doesn't everyone? Sometimes I just chill out and watch them [​IMG]
    don't confuse the floaters with autokenesis, where if you stare at a light in the dark (say a star) it appears to move.

3. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I never noticed them until someone posted about the same thing awhile back. Odd how you can be totaly oblivious to something but once it is pointed out to you, it is impossible to ignore. Though I don't seem to have too many thankfully as I only notice them infrequently.

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Guys guys... don't worry I was told the answer to this by a female I once knew in high school. Those things you see moving around are oxygen molecules and you can only see them when you really focus...

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    The female who can focus on oxygen molecules is either a blonde or from the planet Krypton[​IMG]

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Wierd, because I was thinking about this as a post recently.
    The most aggravating part of it for me, is I like birdwatching, and it really is difficult sometimes to to find a bird against a clear blue sky, or white cloud, when contending with those damn floaters
    Very common, and get a bit worse as we get older...
    BTW, I understand that it is bad to press our eyeballs to see stars, as most of us do when we are kids. At least we were told not to look at the sun.
    [​IMG]

7. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I don't get floaters, but do get this thing where my eye clouds up sometimes. I have no idea what it is, and when itch my eye, it goes away.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Are you referring to the fluid that is in your eye? Just be glad you have it. [​IMG]

9. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I also have them and I believe that I read once that everyone has them its just a matter of how many and how large they are... Dont know the truth to it. Do we have any Optomologists on here that can shed some light?

KyleS

10. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I once read that the floaters are remnants of a blood vessel that was used during the development of the eye, or something similar to that. I only have them in one eye, so far as I know.

11. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I was the one who posted about floaters last year. I was really concerned about them and thought they might by symptomatic of a larger problem. I was checked by two different opthamolgists rs and both told me the same thing: there is nothing to worry about. That's not to say that everyone who has them shouldn't worry, rather it's saying that floaters are normal.

As we age, the vitreous fluid becomes less gelatinous and more water-like. This causes the fibers to pull loose from the retina and the debris causes those annoying black dots a.k.a. "floaters."

Seeing a few floaters is normal, but if there is a sudden increase it could mean that your retina is detaching (which would require surgery).

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    My eye doctor checked me out several years ago when I first saw them. He said everyone gets them after age 40. They are sort of a piece of skin that comes off from where the optic nerve comes into the retina. Think of them as dandruff in your optic fluid.

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    The real question is what do they look like? Kind of like the child's game of seeing shapes in clouds, I ask the important question:

What do you see in your floaters?

I have a little in my left eye, I think it might be a spider... Maybe that explains my fascination with spiders??

Jay

14. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Jay, they aren't uniform in appearance, but most of them appear as tiny specks. They can also appear look just like trails of smoke.

When I first noticed the floaters, I thought there was a flea or some other tiny critter flying past my face. I actually swatted at it, but I soon realized it was something wrong with me.

I have 20/20 vision, so the good thing is floaters aren't indicative of eye sight that is deteriorating.

15. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I just flush again, they'll usually go down then.
    Oh.
    (Ok, this was a thread fart; one of my first [​IMG])