Floated this notion on A/V Sources, sunk like...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlanWms, Feb 27, 2003.

1. AlanWms

AlanWms Stunt Coordinator

a lead balloon.

When I visited my local high-end shop the other night I planned on pre-ordering the Denon 2900. The sales rep (someone I have dealt with for years) asked why the upgrade and I told him in large part it was to have a progressive DVD player in advance of the HDTV I will be purchasing. Much to my surprise, he said don't get to caught-up in the progressive hype because most every good HDTV's video sections (internal video decoder?) will beat all but the very best progressive players on the market? Bottom line, he kinda talked me out of buying the 2900 ???!!!

Any thoughts or comments on his statement would be appreciated. I am more befuddled than ever now!

Alan

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Not true in most instances.

The very best tv set line doublers (i.e. the Pioneer Elite) may work better than the worst progressive dvd player's de-interlacer (i.e. that Pioneer from a couple of years ago that didn't do 3/2 pulldown).

A merely good to very good tv set line doubler, like the current Sony DRC will approach but not equal the performance of that Denon player you're considering.

The difference would be proportional to the difference between S-video and component video on an analog 32" direct view set--noticeable but not night and day.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Alan: I'll let this remain here for the moment. It belongs in A/V Sources. May I ask what title you gave your original thread? Often, obtuse titles that require you to go into the thread to ascertain the topic (or to use the balloon pop-up feature) turn people off (and I edit those kinds of titles whenever I come across them). Be as descriptive as possible in the thread title (no teases) and someone will come along and help you. JB

4. stevie v

stevie v Auditioning

i also find not much difference between sony's drc (960i) and ps dvd 480p.
    avman.