Flipping through your favorite movies

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Haggai, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I wasn't in the mood to watch any full-length titles earlier this evening, and I didn't really feel like watching any of the documentaries or other extras that I have on various titles, so I just popped in a couple of movies and watched a few of my favorite scenes from them. Specifically, 8 1/2, with Guido's harem and the final scene, and Citizen Kane, with Kane's campaign speech and the celebratory song for him at the newspaper party. I've done this every now and then with various movies I own, and I feel like I should do it more often now. Does anybody else do this sometimes too?

Having a 5-DVD changer certainly helps with this, since I can make several choices and just sit on my butt while I cycle through a few discs. I guess I'm also posting this in the mood of the "We Never Had It So Good" and "Happy 7th Birthday DVD" threads, as this is something I could never have done before I got into DVDs, or before they were available.

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Are you kidding? I've got a five-disc changer and "scene-flipping" is a favorite pastime. It's too damn bad I can't program a DVD player like a CD player, to jump disc to disc, chapter to chapter, otherwise I'd be making versions of Fantasia with sequences from Allegro non Troppo, the Wall, Heavy Metal, and Yellow Submarine, as well as Fantasia and/or F2K.

[voice_Homer] Stupid automatic menu screens...[/voice]

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Count me in the opposite camp. I never watch just selected scenes. It's always whole movies for me.

4. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Heh, that could be the basis for all kinds of fun experimental editing, Ernest. "So let's see what Haggai's put together from his collection...OK, Marcello Mastroianni directing the whole cast of the movie in 8 1/2, and then a cut to...John Lee Hooker in The Blues Brothers?...And then we're in Chinatown, with Jack Nicholson berating some policemen...followed by "Bye Bye Love" from All That Jazz...then Walter Huston laughing maniacally in Treasure Of The Sierra Madre...WTF kind of crazy-ass compilation is this?"

5. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Crazy-ass, yes. Fun? Oh, HELL yes...