What's new

Flipping through HD channels kills sound on the tuner. (1 Viewer)

buxnut

Auditioning
Real Name
adam collins
Installed a new system 2 weeks ago. Sony KLD55HX800 TV, BDV-E770W blue ray theater, Time Warner DVR, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. All Monster HDMI. Flipping through HD channels cuts off the sound through the theater sometimes...almost always on the sports channels but not the TV. System won't function, have to power down theater. If I power back up to the same channel the sound was lost on, no problems. If I start to flip again...dies. Started off with a Samsung DVR through TW, did the same thing. Still waiting on Sony support. Time Warner knowledge base...yeah right.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd put my money on the Sony as the culprit. How is the DVR sending sound to the Sony BDV? Optical or coaxial?

Welcome to the forum. Please check out Monoprice.com before buying anything with the word "monster" in it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Like Robert said, welcome to the forum, Adam!

AND, like Robert said, I would suspect the HT receiver to be the culprit, too--especially since you say you've tried two different TW DVRs (the Samsung and SA HD-8300) and got the same result. And then once you power down the unit and power it up again, all is good...until you switch channels again.

Robert: It sounds like he's using HDMI all the way around. He could try using different connections between the receiver and DVR to see if that has any effect...but I'd say he should probably try to replace the Sony theater unit and get one that works right.

buxnut

Auditioning
Real Name
adam collins
Hey thanks Robert,

DVR to TV with HDMI, BR theater to TV HDMI, Sound from Cable loops back to theater through TV via the magical Bravia link. I added optical out from TV to theater to see if TW signal, through HDMI was over powering theater. It was a reach but I want it to work how it's supposed to through the HDMI instead of RGB which I think is inevitable, unless some genius on here has a remedy.

I have another, very similar set up from last years Sony gear except the cable company is Insight with a Motorola DVR. It functions and hooks up exactly the same way but works. Unfortunately I can only get TW at the condo and dish is not allowed.

I greatly appreciate any insight!

buxnut

Auditioning
Real Name
adam collins
Mike,

I'm beginning to think the HT is a dud too. Sony just got back to me with... "do a firmware update" which I did 10 seconds after I hooked it up and plugged in the LAN adapter. I tried to do another update after I had the first sound issue along with the TV.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've never had an HTiB like your Sony...but I would have assumed you would have connected the DVR to the HT and that the theater would have passed through the video to the TV and the audio to the speakers.

I've never come across this idea of "looping the audio back" to the receiver from the TV.

That's why we have guys like Robert hanging out here, Adam!

buxnut

Auditioning
Real Name
adam collins
Mike,

It's that newfangled Sony Bravia link. This HT isn't a conventional hundred connector tuner. It's got 1 HDMI output only and no HDMI inputs. The output of the HT goes to HDMI 1 on newer Bravia TV's. Everything that's connected to the TV, no matter what connector type, filters the audio signal back through HDMI 1 to the HT or through an optical. The system I got in Nov. works great and sounds amazing with no issues. I'm sure the 3D system/DVR issue will get worked out.

jff6791

Auditioning
Real Name
John Fitzpatrick
Hi - we're in the same boat I guess - BDV-E770 blue ray theater, KDL-60EX700 set but with a Comcast/Motorola DCX3400 DVR. Audio dies intermittently - seems most likely to happen when going from 720p to 1080i channel or vice versa. So far Sony support says turn off "Control for HDMI" on theater which does get rid of problem but also kills Bravia Sync feature (single remote for everything). Did you happen to notice lip synch issues using optical connection from TV to theater (in place of HDMI)? I can't seem to totally get rid of this even playing with A/V synch setting on theater. Also - what Motorola cable box/theater/TV combo did you find that did work with all HDMI? Thanks

John

Originally Posted by buxnut

Hey thanks Robert,

DVR to TV with HDMI, BR theater to TV HDMI, Sound from Cable loops back to theater through TV via the magical Bravia link. I added optical out from TV to theater to see if TW signal, through HDMI was over powering theater. It was a reach but I want it to work how it's supposed to through the HDMI instead of RGB which I think is inevitable, unless some genius on here has a remedy.

I have another, very similar set up from last years Sony gear except the cable company is Insight with a Motorola DVR. It functions and hooks up exactly the same way but works. Unfortunately I can only get TW at the condo and dish is not allowed.

I greatly appreciate any insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buda
Recent bookmarks