What's new

flipping a sub UPSIDE DOWN? (1 Viewer)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
...well, not quite upside down, just turning a forward-firng sub into a downward firing one, as seen in the second photo from the top!

They used hockey pucks, which I thought was very original plus a cheap experiment at 99 cents apiece.

I'm wondering how this will change the output if at all.

Specifically, I'm wondering what the chances are of it improving the weak musical performance of my cheapo JBL e150 until I scrape together enough cash to upgrade to a Hsu, SVS or Velodyne sub a few months from now. In the meantime I suppose I could afford $4.

Unfortunately, hockey pucks are not so easily found down here in Texas...:D

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
Mine is actually upside down right now and it appears to work better. I have a PB12/2. Had to replace the amp and I haven't flipped it back over yet. I'm going to flip it this weekend and bench it to see the difference.

eddieZEN

Second Unit

Can you describe HOW it works better? Do you mean the bass sounds more powerful, or just the quality (tightness) has increased?

And I'm curious, what are you using underneath your sub? Any alternatives to hockey pucks? ;)

ScottCarr

Second Unit
When I had SvS PB12/2s they ran up side down and had a much flatter response.

Hockey pucks, last check I had 46.

MikeNg

Second Unit
I also ran my PB12-isd/2's upside down for a while, which worked well.

I'm currently running it on its side with the drivers facing the wall. Works well for me like this. I get a flatter response with less equalization applied. I got more headroom (like I need it with this monster).

Mike

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I doubt it will sound much different. As you’ve figured out, that sub’s a lost cause anyway (see my evaluation of it at the link in my signature), but it facing it downward could actually mean [less performance. The situation is that the with the cone facing down, it will sag a bit due to gravity. This naturally means less available excursion with signal before it bottoms out.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
I can just imagine seeing meself flipping the B12-Plus/4 twins' 190 Lbs. per upside down...oh, sure!... :D

-THTS

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Actually I've done this many times and have found it very useful in achieving a flatter response. Generally not the best looking setup, but it does have an effect on the FR measurements. Like suggested, it could be somewhat of a lost cause do to the nature of the sub, but then we work with what we have I guess??:)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Wayne,

Why oh why didn't you run that test six months ago when I bought the darn thing? ARGH! :angry:

However you're not telling me anything I haven't already found out about this sad excuse for a sub. I was already thinking about transferring it to my bedroom which just has a Sony compact system with its own OEM sub...I'm sure compared to THAT even the E150 will sound amazing, LOL. Even the horrible Polk R20s that I moved there sounded way better than their OEM speakers.

I have one request though: could you review the $400 Hsu STF-2 sometime? I'd be very curious to hear how you think it stacks up against the SVS...I have the impression that the Hsu is supposed to be very musical rather than HT-oriented, and musical is really what I'm looking for.

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
Just a question, will the sub or the sub's driver will get easily spoiled by making a front-firing sub to downward firing sub?

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The difference in that test is probably more from disconnecting the sub from the floor. Leaving the sub firing forward and putting it on a Gramma isolation pad would probably provide similar results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks