Flipper DVD-R?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John_Berger, Jul 25, 2003.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I saw them a long time ago, but I do recall seeing "flipper" DVD-Rs for sale where you could write to both sides of the disc. Since Memorex has 3-in-1 labels that allow the writing of just inner ring labels, I'd like to take a second look at these flipper DVD-Rs (so that I don't have to keep buying separate dual-DVD cases), but now I can't seem to locate them.

Has anyone else seen these?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Ritek make them. Problem is at the prices I've seen them, they work out more expensive than buying 2 single-sided DVD-Rs.

3. John_Berger

Well, the Ritek is a good thing as I've had zero coasters using Ritek, but being more expensive than two single sided is a pain. Like the 3" CD-Rs that hold 1/3 the data but cost twice as much as regular CD-Rs. [​IMG] Supply and demand, I guess. Hopefully, they'll come down in price to where they're at least even with two single discs.

There are some situations where double-sided DVD-R would really come in handy, particularly for DVD backups (one DVD-9 to two DVD-5s) or converting some of my video tapes to DVD-R. I'd have to put another disc in anyway. I might as well make it the same disc and not have to worry about buying 2-disc cases when I have plenty of single disc cases lying around. [​IMG]

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Actually John, the place I used to see them advertised no longer carries them. I wonder if they were removed from the market. Not sure.

5. John_Berger

I did some searching and there are some places that sell double-sided, but they're not Ritek (although it's possible that they might be Ritek discs re-branded) and they're almost 3x as much as regular Ritek 4x media! [​IMG]

Um ... no. I'll keep searching, but I'm not paying a 50% premium. That's more than having to buy a dual-disc case.