What's new

Flipper Disc Hits Obstacles (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Score one for SACD then I guess. For me, I'm alot more willing to buy an album I don't already own on a hybrid SACD than on a DVD-A as I like to make MP3 mixes for my car and portable mp3 cd players which leaves me SOL with DVD-A. However, if I already have the album in redbook I won't hesitate to pick it up in DVD-A.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
"Of the several hundred test trials, there were just six failures, mostly in PC drives."
Sounds like hybrid SACD, perhaps even more forgiving.

Of course, Sony and Philips have no qualms about slapping the Redbook logo on hybrid discs that are not 100% compatible.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I am not familiar with Home Cinema Choice, but it appears that this article is referring to very old news. The single sided Hybrid had incompatibilites as well as the original dual sided DVD+. The article fails to mention the new thinner DVD+ discs scheduled for release, so the information is questionable at best.

It is best to wait until this information is substantiated by a more reputable Hi-res source before coming to conclusions. However, if true I would consider this a setback in the quest to find a CD replacement (though I am extremely doubtful DVD-A or SACD will ever replace more than a few percent of the total CD sales at best).

J

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Correct, the article is not talking about the DVD+ formulation. It is talking about an older formulation which was voted down due to thickness issues.

Regards,

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
What is the problem here? They already have flipper DVD's. Why can't they just make one side a CD layer?

Mark

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Just have the CD and DVD-A on 2 seperate discs and include them in the same package.

This way you can play the CD in your car or at work, and have the DVD-A for home.

It won't add much to the cost and there won't be any compatibility issues.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
What is the problem here? They already have flipper DVD's. Why can't they just make one side a CD layer?
They can and it is still on schedule for release late this year or early next.

This article is inaccurate, and I would have hoped the original poster of this thread would have realized this instead of regurgitating a link found on Audio Asylum. Oh well, such as it is around these parts...

J

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I keep reading articles that says this technonology is go but I can't seem to find any confirmed titles for this technology. I know of the P.O.D release but that is going to include a PS2 game not any other type of music nor does it say that it is a flipper disc instead of an included game disk. I also saw that the Return of the King soundtrack is supposed to have a limited DVD+CD hybrid release. But I can't tell if it is a hybrid dvd-a or dvd-v.

Right now to me it seems studios are just going to use the hybrid to promote CD sales by including a DVD-V of band info or cross promote other media. I would gladly pick up a DVD-A hybrid or combo package (I did pick up the great Bare Naked Ladies combo package) but I have yet to hear of an actual hybrid dvd-a title. Until I see some titles SACD hybrids continue to be the best package for me.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This article is inaccurate, and I would have hoped the original poster of this thread would have realized this instead of regurgitating a link found on Audio Asylum.
I beg to differ Justin. According to the new source Consumer Electronics Daily, there remain serious obstacles:

Read Brian Moura's very recent update here:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=17090165

I think we all want this to work, but sometimes new technology can be difficult to retrofit. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
To heck with questionably compatible hybrids and flippers, what we need is more releases like the new Barenaked Ladies CD/DVDA two pack for $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks