Flintstones season 5 music rights question...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Carlos Garcia, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, since only the first 2 seasons of The Flintstones have actually been released on DVD so far, but here's an interesting question. The last episode of season 5 (titled "Surfin' Fred") has a song named "Surfin' Craze" which was sung by James Darren. This song sounds an awful lot like the Beach Boys' "Surfin' USA". Surfin' USA's music is credited to Chuck Berry (it's basically the same music as "Sweet Little Sixteen" with new lyrics). I was wondering if there may be a problem with this episode getting released. There's a movie called "American Hot Wax" (which featured Chuck Berry) that has yet to surface on DVD. I remember reading on another DVD message board several months ago that the reason that movie wasn't out yet was due to Chuck Berry wanting more money for the rights to his appearance. I'm just wondering if the music rights to "Surfin' Fred" have already been secured, because as I recall, the song "Surfin' Craze" ranks as my alltime favorite Flintstones song, and it would be a shame not to have this episode included in the eventual season 5 release of the show.

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I don't know, but if it eases your worries, one of the episodes of "Dallas: S1/S2" still has "Silver Threads and Golden Needles" retained on it, and it was a Warner release.

3. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

Let's make a deal. If you don't tell Chuck Berry that Season 5 of the Flintstones is coming out in the next two years, then I won't tell him either.

I'm joking. It's just a joke.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

All I can say is that Warner has a VERY good track record on getting original music in all their DVD releases. Not perfect, but I tend to think of them as among the very best studios where this issue is concerned. You probably don't have anything to worry about. If so...well, let's cross that bridge when we come to it!

5. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Well, just be thankful that the Flintstones didn't use the song "love and marriage".

I joke, I joke, but as David said Warner usually does pretty good with this type of stuff, not always but usually. Now if we could just introduce them to chapter stops.

6. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Since it's a soundalike song and not actually Berry's, there probably isn't an issue.

7. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

BTW, there some other examples of 60s Top 40 tunes used in Bedrock. Remember Ann Margrock singing "I Ain't Gonna Be No Fool"? That single was a 1964 RCA release for Ann-Margret. Also, in the "Shinrock" episode, the Beau Brummels (called "The Beau Brummelstones"- what else?) perform their big hit, the Sly Stone-produced "Laugh Laugh".

And from the final (1965-66) season, there was that season's premiere episode "No Biz Like Show Biz" in which Fred dreams that Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm become pop stars. Early on we hear excerpts from two singles which were released in '65 on Hanna-Barbera's short-lived HBR label:
    "Roses & Rainbows", by a pre-'Three Dog Night' Danny Hutton, and "Dance In The Sand" by the group Creations IV. I don't forsee any difficulty with this material being relased intact on DVD.....

8. DeanC

DeanC Stunt Coordinator

I remember seeing a Flintstones episode where they sing a different way of Happy Anniversary.

What season was that?

And also about Pebbles and Bamm Bamm and Dino. Didn't they have a Saturday Morning Cartoon with them as teens and had Dino and a cast of friends form a band.

Will this be released.

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Season One - episode called "The Hot Piano"...