FLINTSTONES ON BLU-RAY

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Someone at the other forum says that one streaming episode (The Big Bank Robbery) doesn't even have all the audio tracks, with the music and sound effects absent.

After years of hoping for this release, I sure hope they don't screw it up.
Have other catalog shows come to streaming before hitting Blu-ray, and the BD reflects streaming changes? Honest question. I'm not feeling as concerned but wouldn't want to ignore the possibility. I just remember folks being concerned about things like syndicated episodes or other edits because perhaps that's what was rerun for years prior to a DVD release. But studio product has very often gotten these things right, and Flintstones is a major release. The cold opens, for example, feel to me like HBO Max chopping off what many people would want to skip if they had the "skip credits" button they haven't added yet but almost certainly will.

I'm thinking the history, by and large, is on our side.

Reactions: moviebuff75

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Flintstones mostly used teasers rather than cold opens. On the DVDs I always skip the teasers (I've never liked teaser opens). Even so, I'd want them on the BR because that's how they originally aired. I'd also want a chapter stop right after the teaser *and* another right after the open as sometimes I want to skip both.

As far as "studio product has very often gotten these things right" I beg to disagree although I can't think of a single release from WHV that was edited or had syndicated versions. They do get it right most of the time. In spite of that, Warner Home Video is the studio who gave us WS modification on S1 of Kung Fu (even rereleased it without getting it right).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Flugel

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Have other catalog shows come to streaming before hitting Blu-ray, and the BD reflects streaming changes? Honest question. I'm not feeling as concerned but wouldn't want to ignore the possibility. I just remember folks being concerned about things like syndicated episodes or other edits because perhaps that's what was rerun for years prior to a DVD release. But studio product has very often gotten these things right, and Flintstones is a major release. The cold opens, for example, feel to me like HBO Max chopping off what many people would want to skip if they had the "skip credits" button they haven't added yet but almost certainly will.

I'm thinking the history, by and large, is on our side.
They only tend to fix things when they are notified about them. So make sure your voice is heard.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd feel a lot better about it if it were coming from Warner Archives instead of Warner Home Video.
And it's possible that's what's happening. I read this today on digitalbits:

The Warner Archive Collection also confirmed that Tex Avery Screwball Classics: Volume 2 is on the way to Blu-ray, as is The Flintstones: The Complete Series (sometime this fall). They’re also working on Superman: The Animated Series, but details on that are still TBA.
So that sounds like The Flintstones is coming from Warner Archives which is a very good thing.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
And it's possible that's what's happening. I read this today on digitalbits:

So that sounds like The Flintstones is coming from Warner Archives which is a very good thing.
It’s just a poorly written sentence. The pre-order is up from WHV already and there’s international releases. They literally said at Comic-con that they weren’t working on it.

• Appreciate
Reactions: BobO'Link

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The Flintstones mostly used teasers rather than cold opens. On the DVDs I always skip the teasers (I've never liked teaser opens). Even so, I'd want them on the BR because that's how they originally aired. I'd also want a chapter stop right after the teaser *and* another right after the open as sometimes I want to skip both.

As far as "studio product has very often gotten these things right" I beg to disagree although I can't think of a single release from WHV that was edited or had syndicated versions. They do get it right most of the time. In spite of that, Warner Home Video is the studio who gave us WS modification on S1 of Kung Fu (even rereleased it without getting it right).
I recall that some of the cold openings (or whatever the technical term is for the short scene before the opening titles) were clips from the episode, while others were the actual first scene in the episode.

You know what I would really like to have as an extra? (Besides the Winston stuff!)

There was a version of the show opening that played in syndication for many years which for some reason had a 1966 copyright notice briefly superimposed. And it wasn't at the bottom of the screen, it was at the bottom of what we might call a "safe area" as if they thought they might show these in a movie theater. But they never did, did they?

Sometimes the words "through the courtesy of Fred's two feet" were cut, other times they weren't. If they were, it threw the sync out for the rest of the opening titles.

I also would love to see the "dancing sticks" and other Screen Gems logos as well for their appropriate episodes.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
  • Insightful
Reactions: MartinP.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I have the old individual DVDs. And a Canadian dvd of Man Called Flintstone.

Still no word on censorship on the blu Ray yet.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Is it possible to get the original series that I originally watched with this BR release? That is what I want. End of story!
Well, if the original series you originally watched was the original 1960-66 "The Flintstones," then this is the set for you.

Reactions: ChrisALM

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
The syndicated episodes I watched growing up (in the 1970s) had the same third-season closing credits tacked on to the end of every first- and second-season episode. I remember thinking, "Wow, every episode was written by Warren Foster."

Later of course I found out that the familiar "Meet The Flintstones" theme didn't originally debut until the third season, and the syndicated credits were changed to include it.

The DVD release restored the original closing credits -- but they're all taken from the same episode. Thus, the writing credits are still wrong.

Probably no chance the Blu-ray will rectify this? (and shouldn't the Writers Guild have a problem with this anyway?)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The syndicated episodes I watched growing up (in the 1970s) had the same third-season closing credits tacked on to the end of every first- and second-season episode. I remember thinking, "Wow, every episode was written by Warren Foster."

Later of course I found out that the familiar "Meet The Flintstones" theme didn't originally debut until the third season, and the syndicated credits were changed to include it.

The DVD release restored the original closing credits -- but they're all taken from the same episode. Thus, the writing credits are still wrong.

Probably no chance the Blu-ray will rectify this? (and shouldn't the Writers Guild have a problem with this anyway?)
I remember that as well. But this raises another question -- on the Season 3 DVD set, the "Meet The Flintstones" theme is on most of the episodes, but "Rise And Shine" is still on the first few. Is that how they aired? I would think they would have changed the theme song at the beginning of the season, but I know that's not necessarily always the case.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Well, if the original series you originally watched was the original 1960-66 "The Flintstones," then this is the set for you.
I'm wanting a set of the 1960-1966 series that features the show as it originally ran. There should be people who would know how to put this together correctly - if Warner's will consult them.

Reactions: Robbie^Blackmon

ScottRE

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I'm wanting a set of the 1960-1966 series that features the show as it originally ran. There should be people who would know how to put this together correctly - if Warner's will consult them.
Even when fans are consulted, errors and misjudgments slip in. The Lost in Space Complete Adventures blu-ray set has audio problems that I would have corrected before finalizing and Kevin Burns, one of the rights holders, is the ultimate fan. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Land of the Giants also have issues.

I don’t know how many home video series collection of classic shows are actually perfectly done at this point. Twilight Zone probably. If The Six Million Dollar Man had better prints, it would be a solid home run. Some audio issues, but the crossovers are all complete with the correct credits. The less said about anything from Sony the better.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
MeTv among others has been censoring tv shows.
I read the link, I had no idea they were doing that. That just makes me cringe. That guy from the network they quote sounds like he's so proud of it. Where does it stop when you start that? (Hint: It doesn't.)

For example, from that article: An episode of “The Monkees” was cut for Asian stereotypes and slurs.

Okay, then, why not censor the Christmas episode of The Monkees that has gay stereotypes and slurs? (If you want to know what I'm talking about, while they are singing a verse of Deck the Halls, when they sing "Don we now our gay apparel" on the word gay they pronounce it in a fey voice and show off a limp wrist. And in the end segment when they are introducing various production people Davy Jones outs one of them telling the audience "He's a poof.")

In an episode of Laugh-In, Jack Soo, who is Asian, calls himself Oriental. Oops. Get out the scissors!

I am so tired of the insanity.

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
For example, from that article: An episode of “The Monkees” was cut for Asian stereotypes and slurs.
While that might put the Flintstones "Prowler" episode in jeopardy, Warner isn't MeTV--
Most of their disk content tends to be uncut, as long as they put their One Disclaimer Screen on the beginning.
(Well, there was that sudden silent moment for Race Bannon on the "Jonny Quest" DVD's, has it been corrected for the WA Blu?)

Conventional wisdom has it that there's not really much to censor in The Flintstones, except for...yes, THAT ad, and they're probably not including the in-series commercials.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
While that might put the Flintstones "Prowler" episode in jeopardy, Warner isn't MeTV--
Most of their disk content tends to be uncut, as long as they put their One Disclaimer Screen on the beginning.
(Well, there was that sudden silent moment for Race Bannon on the "Jonny Quest" DVD's, has it been corrected for the WA Blu?)

Conventional wisdom has it that there's not really much to censor in The Flintstones, except for...yes, THAT ad, and they're probably not including the in-series commercials.
Yes. The WA BR for Jonny Quest is excellent and restores the un-PC material.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan