What's new

FLINTSTONES ON BLU-RAY (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
For those interested, 2 classic episodes are included in HD as a bonus on the Blu-ray of The Flintstones & WWE: Stone Age Smackdown. The episodes are: "The Engagement Ring" and "Take Me Out To The Ball Game."

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Great point. Plus, there's hardly more detail coming from the animation images to compensate for all the smudges higher resolution will bring out.
I just found out that Me TV will begin airing 2 Flintstone episodes every week night starting at 6 ET this Monday 9/30 exactly 59 years after it first aired on ABC TV.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just found out that Me TV will begin airing 2 Flintstone episodes every week night starting at 6 ET this Monday 9/30 exactly 59 years after it first aired on ABC TV.
Maybe this will help get the series on Blu Ray soon.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I guess we will see if what is broadcast on METV are restored prints. Hopefully they will at least use the original credits for the early seasons. The ones that use the song Rise And Shine and not Meet The Flintstones which I believe started in Season 3. Rise and shine was an instrumental song so no lyrics. The DVDs and I believe Cartoon Network used the original credts.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Someone posted to Youtube these rare versions of the two theme songs. Meet The Flintstones has the voices of the original voice cast of Alan, Reed, Mel Blanc, and Bea Benaderet , Fred, Barney, and Betty. Rise and Shine has lyrics.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This year has seen stellar releases of The Jetsons and Jonny Quest on blu ray by the Warner Archive. The Flintstones is next, hopefully, for the same treatment.

How many discs do you think each seasonal Blu will have?

RocketRobz

Grip
Real Name
Rojelio Reyes
I guess we will see if what is broadcast on METV are restored prints. Hopefully they will at least use the original credits for the early seasons. The ones that use the song Rise And Shine and not Meet The Flintstones which I believe started in Season 3. Rise and shine was an instrumental song so no lyrics. The DVDs and I believe Cartoon Network used the original credts.
The prints they showed are the 90s Turner prints, the same ones that aired on CN/Boomerang.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This year has seen stellar releases of The Jetsons and Jonny Quest on blu ray by the Warner Archive. The Flintstones is next, hopefully, for the same treatment.

They won't let the 60th anniversary of an iconic show pass them by, but those shows weren't on as long and probably needed less work done.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The prints they showed are the 90s Turner prints, the same ones that aired on CN/Boomerang.

This wouldn't be surprising. The show isn't restored for HD yet, which WB no doubt wants to eventually rectify.

They won't let the 60th anniversary of an iconic show pass them by, but those shows weren't on as long and probably needed less work done.

And Top Cat was the third big single-season show, so I've been anticipating that next per the pattern we've seen so far.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hopefully the restoration of the Hanna-Barbera library is an ongoing, library-wide project. They are in good hands with WB. The Looney Tunes and Peanuts restorations were pretty good at minimizing age-related artifacts without making them look artificial like that mouse studio.

I never even knew there was an original theme until Cartoon Network put it back. Obviously they couldn't put back the Winston Cigarette commercials. Somehow I doubt Flintstones Chewable Vitamins will be enough to undo the effects of those.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I have no doubt we'll start seeing The Flintstones start to roll out next year. This year was heavy on Popeye and Scooby Doo because of their anniversaries.

The WAC really impressed me with the Jetsons, not just because they full restored the episodes, but they also found the Colgate and Scotch Tape ads in color and reinstated them. I hold out hold that they might find the Winston ads in color.

Yogi would be a good way to start the "funny animal" three short shows. Yogi is the most well known, and the underscore for the cartoons was created for it, so the Capitol Music rights issues that are holding back Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw don't apply.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Hopefully WHV doesn’t handle The Flintstones. We were lucky with Scooby that the unmolested original remaster was available digitally in HD, but with The Flintstones, the Blu-Ray will be the only option available.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
How many discs do you think each seasonal Blu will have?

The Jetsons had 24 episodes in its original season and consisted of 3 blu-ray discs. Jonny Quest had 26 episodes and consisted of 3 blu-ray discs. The first and third seasons of The Flintstones each had 28 episodes, and season two had 32 episodes. The remaining seasons consisted of 26 episodes each.

My best prediction is that The Flintstones in season sets on blu-ray would consist of 4 discs for season 2 and 3 discs each for the other seasons, based on the number of episodes per season.

If extensive special features are included, I would increase my estimate by one additional disc per season.

I would be ecstatic if color versions of the Winston cigarette commercials were discovered and included as special features.

Last edited:

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Judging from this clip, looks like The Flintstones will be on HBO Max in HD. Hopefully makes the chances of a Blu-ray a lot more likely.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Coming from WHV on August 4:
https://www.deepdiscount.com/the-flintstones-2-movies-and-5-specials/883929706969
Includes:
1. The Man Called Flintstone
2. The Flintstones Meet Rockula
3. The Flntstones' Little Big League
4. The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones
5. The Flintstones: I Yabba Dabba Do!
6. The Flintstones: Hollyrock-A-Bye Baby
7. The Flintstones & WWE: Stone-Age Smackdown

All this content was previously released between WAC and WHV over 6 discs in the past. This is just WHV releasing it widely and squeezed onto fewer discs. Although it's possibly a test to see if The Flintstones still sells in stores. They're cramming six discs of content onto two discs here, similar to how they crammed 41 episodes of Scooby across 2 BD-25s, which is looking to be their new normal. So eight BD-25s for The Flintstones' entire run. And they'll charge as if they used an appropriate amount of discs and give us some crazy packaging to help justify it.

So if we support it, does that make it seem like we would buy a Blu-ray of the original series? But if it does, it makes them think they need to release it through WHV.

If we don't support it, does that mean they will release the Blu-ray through WAC? Or does it mean we won't get a Blu-ray at all? Dangerous game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks