What's new

Flight To Mars (1951) via Film Detective (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski

FBR1011.jpg

Bonus Materials​

• Audio Commentary by author/film historian Justin Humphreys
  • Walter Mirisch: From Bomba to Body Snatchers - A new documentary short from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
  • Interstellar Travelogues: Cinema's First Space Race - A new documentary short with celebrated science fiction artist/historian Vincent Di Fate from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
  • Full color insert booklet with an essay by Don Stradley

Sales Points​

• New 4K restoration, sourced from original 35mm Cinecolor Separation Negatives
  • Original All New Documentary shorts from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Is this really a 4K disc, or merely sourced from a 4K restoration ? The cover pic uses the black border at the top of the case typical of 4K releases, but merely says 'blu-ray Disc' with no mention of 4K itself. I would expect they would cut off at least 66% of their sales if there is no blu-ray option.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Release date July 10. Not yet available on Amazon.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

FBR1011.jpg

Bonus Materials​

• Audio Commentary by author/film historian Justin Humphreys
  • Walter Mirisch: From Bomba to Body Snatchers - A new documentary short from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
  • Interstellar Travelogues: Cinema's First Space Race - A new documentary short with celebrated science fiction artist/historian Vincent Di Fate from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
  • Full color insert booklet with an essay by Don Stradley

Sales Points​

• New 4K restoration, sourced from original 35mm Cinecolor Separation Negatives
  • Original All New Documentary shorts from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures

Restoration by Paramount as they hold certain rights.

interesting, wonder how many more surprises like this (including serials) would be possible, definitely interested

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Finally love this movie as a kid ! Used to show it on Saturday Matinee, where I grew up......

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Did anyone get this today? Mine arrived earlier and I’m about to sneak in a viewing before bed. Old timey futurepast space travel - one of my very favorite genres.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just received my copy and A/B'd with the DVD. The BD was much lighter, especially in the color but had more detail. You actually see that Virginia Huston has two tone colored hair. The picture was wider, 1.37:1 to 1.33:1 for the DVD. The running time was almost identical. All the fine line and red scratches have been removed. All the red splotches in the film have been removed except one scene. It's on the table towards the middle of of the movie and its small and they probably missed it.

When you watch the DVD, the picture looks better. Maybe it's because I'm so used to watching the Wade Williams print. Restoration and preservation by Paramount Pictures Archive, copyright 2021 Wade Williams??? The BD has DTS: MA audio and the DVD has Dolby Digital. They both sounded similar when playing.

Maybe, to some, it will be like when the BD of WAR OF THE WORLDS was released vs the DVD. The reds are now orange on the BD, especially the lip stick.

For a cheap-ass movie, it holds up reasonably well. Just listen to the extras and it tells the whole story.

All in all, I'm glad I purchased it and will be a good addition to my sci-fi collection.

Come on, where is UNKNOWN ISLAND???

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was pretty satisfied with the disc as a first time viewer. The movie was exactly what I was looking for from a film of this type and era and it delivered the kind of entertainment I was hoping for. (So glad to discover there weren’t underground monsters or anything.)

Wade Williams is… you know what, let me not get started on that.

Craig999

Agent
Real Name
Craig
Just received my copy and A/B'd with the DVD. The BD was much lighter, especially in the color but had more detail. You actually see that Virginia Huston has two tone colored hair. The picture was wider, 1.37:1 to 1.33:1 for the DVD. The running time was almost identical. All the fine line and red scratches have been removed. All the red splotches in the film have been removed except one scene. It's on the table towards the middle of of the movie and its small and they probably missed it.

When you watch the DVD, the picture looks better. Maybe it's because I'm so used to watching the Wade Williams print. Restoration and preservation by Paramount Pictures Archive, copyright 2021 Wade Williams??? The BD has DTS: MA audio and the DVD has Dolby Digital. They both sounded similar when playing.

Maybe, to some, it will be like when the BD of WAR OF THE WORLDS was released vs the DVD. The reds are now orange on the BD, especially the lip stick.

For a cheap-ass movie, it holds up reasonably well. Just listen to the extras and it tells the whole story.

All in all, I'm glad I purchased it and will be a good addition to my sci-fi collection.

I still prefer the DVD over the Blu-ray of The Time Machine (1960). But with WOTW (1953), the Criterion BD blows all the others away. I had no complaints with my Flight to Mars BD, which was a new one for me in a genre I love. Some soft scenes, but I thought the color was good. However, I don't have the DVD version to compare.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Finally got a chance to spend my disk after it arrived from Amazon, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable early 50s sci-fi treat. Hopefully, Mr. Williams will continue to release some more of his closely held gems to the public. The question that I have, is that he may have a controlling interest in these properties but someone else may have a controlling interest as well. Flight to Mars was restored by Paramount Pictures Archive. So, I am wondering if Destination Moon by George Pal, or Invaders from Mars would be a similar situation?

Hopefully, with karma these two will be announced before too long

then on to the proper releases of Edward D. Wood’s Masterpieces.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I was pretty satisfied with the disc as a first time viewer. The movie was exactly what I was looking for from a film of this type and era and it delivered the kind of entertainment I was hoping for. (So glad to discover there weren’t underground monsters or anything.)

Man, I'd have killed for some underground monsters or dogs with bees in their mouths that sting you when the dogs bark or anything to liven up this turgid movie!

It's just endless chat chat chat with no drama or tension or excitement.

How could a movie about a mission to Mars be so damned boring???

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I think I just read your review on Amazon.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Man, I'd have killed for some underground monsters or dogs with bees in their mouths that sting you when the dogs bark or anything to liven up this turgid movie!

It's just endless chat chat chat with no drama or tension or excitement.

How could a movie about a mission to Mars be so damned boring???
I'm with Josh. I found it to be a nice change of pace from the more common monster fest approach.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Josh. I found it to be a nice change of pace from the more common monster fest approach.

Ya like what ya like, but when a movie is so boring that the guy they got to do commentary for it spends most of his time ripping it, that's a bad sign! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks