Flight of the Phoenix

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matthew Cook, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Stunt Coordinator

Anybody haveing any weird problems with the sound? It really sounds weird kinda loud background and lower vocal. I am not watching it on any surround system just TV.

2. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

No. Actually, this soundtrack is the most impressive I've heard since Master and Commander. And I'm not easy to please. I don't buy every blockbuster title because there are bullets, explosions, and deep bass.

I fired it up in DTS and added THX Ultra2 processing. Right from the get go, I knew this soundtrack was going to be nice. When Quaid got off the plane and was conversing with Otto, there was a metallic ticking sound in the L channel (where the jet engine could be). I think it is reminiscent of a car engine just turned off and the components are cooling and shrinking. I'm not a mechanic so don't quote me on that. Nice details. I admire this ST not because it can be loud or loaded with bass (cuz every DVD is these days), but because the surround effects are so realistic. Again, I don't know if it Ultra2 or not, but I have never been so immersed in storms, howling wind effects, fly-overs, and thunder. I'm extremely annoyed by surround material calling attention to itself (I run bipole sides for that reason). "Saw" is such an example; the rear center is poorly mixed and way too hot. In FOTP, I could not detect where the mains blend into the sides, and where the sides blend into the rear centers. And bass? WOW! During the crash scene, there was a moment of infrasonic bass that reminds me of "The Haunting" (DTS) during its cold-breath scene. My single Servo-15 is eq'ed flat and I don't run it hot. It is not capable of below 18hz and even 18hz is not very strong in my room. You SVS guys are gonna have a field day with this one! The crash also sounds better than the one in Cast Away.

I never write audio reviews. A soundtrack good enough to make me get up and do this is truly a treat. Day After Tomorrow, I, Robot, LOTR series, Spidey 2....didn't make me do this. For me, it ties for second along with The Haunting, behind Master and Commander as the best soundtrack.

Can't wait to watch The Polar Express and The Incredibles!

(There was one scene near the end where the dialouge is unusually quiet though, where Otto and Quaid were talking alone.)

3. Peter Schorn

Peter Schorn Extra

According to the commentary track, the Dolby engineers rewrote code to wring extra bass out of the track and it certainly got our cats' attention!

That said, I wasn't as impressed by the mix as much as the last poster, but then again, I was being too agressively bored by the movie to care. However, while the extra bass of the DTS track was nice and all, I thought the back channels sounded a bit smeary to my ears compared to the Dolby track, which traded punch for better localization.

4. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Extra bass is right, upstairs neighbors complained about their walls shaking [​IMG]

and I have a wimpy lil sub, can't imagine what you SVS guys are hearing.

5. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Stunt Coordinator

maybe it just sounds weird because I am watching on a tv not my surround system