What's new

Flight of the Navigator (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Hi all. I have some questions about the film "FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR."

First, has there ever been a widescreen release of this film, on any home video format (VHS, LD, DVD, whatever…), in any territory, ever?

Second, what is the proper aspect ratio of the picture and in what way does the full-screen laserdisc differ? 1.85:1? 2.35:1? Open-matte? Pan and scan?

Finally, I understand that there have been two different laserdisc issues of "FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR." What exactly is different between them, and how can I tell which one I have?

If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions, a response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Here's what I found on this website:
  • Flight Of The Navigator has never been available in the USA on DVD. Neither has any information been announced. As soon as we know something, we'll post it on the site.
  • Flight Of The Navigator will be available in the UK and Europe on DVD soon and a release date has been confirmed. We can confirm Aug 11th 2003. Features TBA. and our search agent can get you a big discount over the street price if you pre-order online now by clicking here.
So, if you have an HTPC or region-free player, you can order or bid for the movie. Unfortunately, it's P&S and DD2.0, and from what I remember of the movie, it had awesome sound. In fact, I think this was one of my first favorites that inspired me to home theater. I think it also starts on July 4, 1978--the day I was born. All in all, an enjoyable movie from my younger years that I would love to have on DVD. Time for a letter/e-mail campaign to Disney, anybody?

ETA: Amazon UK has it for £9.99, which I think translates to ~$15. A steal if you've got the tech (and I do)! It seems to be a similar transfer to the LD (Stereo, 4:3) but I'll take my nostalgia where I can get it.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy it...but I can make myself hold out for OAR. Heck..if we can get The Boy Who Could Fly in OAR, we better damn well be able to get FOTN in OAR...

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
If you click on the picture in the auction, it takes to to the seller's web site (www.raremovieimports.com) and they sell the same "Flight of the Navigator" dvd for $24.95US. The auction is now up to $91.00, so apparently the bidders didn't click on the link!

Marc.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the price on the auction went up thanks to this thread...or if there are just that many people intrested in the movie on dvd...hmm, which one of yall is gonna fork out a lot of money for this?

Declan

Second Unit
cool it's comin out here on the 13th of August you say.
Great stuff, I can stop my hunt for the LD now.

License To Drive, Monster Squad, Howard the duck, The Wizard and Jumpin Jack Flash.......... still on the LD search list for me though.

Brad M

Second Unit
Does anyone remember this movie being advertised with the robot alien (Max?) having a different voice then what showed up in the movie?

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Just remember, people. Don't get this through eBay, or the company selling it there. It's only £7.48+shipping (which I think is ~£2) to the US from Amazon.UK. All in all, you could be getting it for $16 total. My childhood is coming back to me...

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
John Co: It is out on DVD. But not here. According to the info above, it's actually anamorphic widescreen as opposed to fullscreen, and if you have a region-free player (or HTPC with region-free software installed), you're golden. Plus, it's cheap.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Tsk, tsk. It's so cheap now. I mean, quality-wise they're not usually on the level of say, a Panny RP91, but even big chains carry models that are region-free from the remote. Obviously, it might be cheaper to wait until Disney comes out with a version here, but I'm a little antsy for favorites of my youth. This and Boy Who Could Fly were constantly on in my house when I was a wee lad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks