1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Flickering/throbbing in A Beautiful Mind

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_JH, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Chris_JH

Chris_JH Extra

Just watched A Beautiful Mind two nights ago on my Gregg-abrated Mits 65819........all I can say is WOW. For once, seeing scenes with intended color "masking" I knew it was intended, not because of red push on my TV. Very nice experience, except for one issue that I noticed.
    In some scenes, the background would "throb" or "flicker", almost like the colors would get slightly lighter than intended, then back to normal, then lighter, etc....over and over again. It never seemed to happen on anything in the foreground, just stuff in the background.
    Ive heard it might be my player (specifically, Macrovision) which is a Panny RP56, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue because of the DISC (either with an RP56 or a different player altogether).

Thanks in advance!!!
    -Chris

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I have an RP56 with a Hitachi 43UWX10B (calibrated with Avia) and I noticed the same thing during this movie. Specifically some of the brownish walls in the background would pulse. I'm guessing this is the so-called "flicker bug" I've heard about, but I've never noticed it with any other title.

3. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Hmmm...I did not notice this on my Toshiba 42H81, but I'll definitely check it out. Do you have a particular chapter and/or timestamp that I could reference?

4. Steve Bjorg

Steve Bjorg Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy,

It's not the 'flicker' bug. If I remember correctly, the flicker bug is related to bad deinterlacing of the chroma channel.

I have seen pulsating backgrounds on several DVDs and always attributed them to bad mastering. But that's just my guess. Maybe someone can enlighten me what it is actually due to.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

It sure SOUNDS like a Macrovision issue to me, but then I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing. Just my 2¢.

6. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

An anomaly here too, but a little different than yours:
    I get the strange throbbing, too, but only when Jennifer Connelly is on screen.
    . . .
    Thank you, you're great, I'll be here all week, try the veal, tip your waitstaff! [​IMG]
    . . .
    I apologize.
    -mwb-