1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

FlexyRack and DVDstorage questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clay Autery, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

Fixin' to start building a 6' flexy for my A/V components and a six drawer cabinet to store software (DVD/CD/Videos)... The designs are finished and I've tried to optimize them for efficient use of materials. BUT, I have some questions...
    1) Does anyone know how the Orchard Supply Hardware "HandiPanels" compare with MDF? I've used the OSH panels for several projects, and they've held up well... I'm planning to construct both pieces entirely from one or the other to keep costs down (I'll trade labor to achieve a good finish).
    2) Has anyone used the half-height jam nuts for their flexy? It looks like they would be a little "cleaner" looking. I plan to set the nuts on the rods after they are adjusted with a drop or two of blue loctite.
    3) Has anyone ever simply gone whole-hog and used nylon insert locknuts? They're bigger, but would certainly eliminate any worry about the rack getting loose. [​IMG]
    My DVD cabinet is a modified version of the 4-drawer pic floating around in several threads. With six drawers, it'll hold 864 DVDs, 456 VHS, or 1632 CDs.... or a combination of the above. I've designed the drawers for good flexibility of configuration and minimum "wasted" space.
    Does anyone have any sources for drawer rails:
    Full extension, positive stop, hold in detent, with disconnect
    and a good source for casters for this application (the cabinet will be skirted, so locking casters are not a requirement.
    Thanks,

2. Clay Autery

Another question...

Zinc plated or plain steel rod?

3. Clay Autery

Heh... I am simply incapable of keeping a project simple... or economical. [​IMG]
    1) Decided to go with MDF for 3/4" and 1/2" pieces, and OSH HandiPanel for the 1/4" stuff.... mainly because the lumber yard didn't have 1/4" MDF. [​IMG]
    2) Decided to go with the half-height nuts... I bought the steel washers and neoprene stock to make the neoprene washers, but as it turns out, I won't be needing the neoprene. Decided to counter sink ALL 72 of the metal washers into the shelves... Bought a 1 - 1/2" Forstner bit (expensive!) to do the countersink work, then I'll drill the 13/16" through hole. Since I'm setting the rods equi-distant from each edge, I can set the drill press fence and lateral stop as a jig for every hole and counter.
    3) Would have loved to have seen how steady the locknuts would have been, but they are just too tall... and added expense.... blue loctite. [​IMG]
    Found the PERFECT full-extension drawer rails (for the DVD storage cabinet). They should be arriving today or tomorrow along with the drawer pulls, "casters", etc. etc... spent over $200.00 at M-C last night (on both projects and it included some tools)....
    Then I dropped another $300.00 today at OSH and Sears... and $100.00 at the lumber yard. I'm gonna have to break out the materials to each project.... The money is mostly going to new tools: router, HVLP gun, aluminum l-channel for saw/router fences/jigs, drill bits, router bits, etc... but the hardware adds up too. [​IMG]
    I'm trying something a little different in the caster department. Hopefully, it will turn out well.
    As soon as I finish the drywall in the HT room, I'll get to work on the furniture.