What's new

Flexy Wheels (1 Viewer)

RonM

Grip
Planning on building a flexy for a center speaker stand. The center will roll out in front of the TV. Also would like a flexy for my equipment with one or more wheels on it to make moving it easier when I'm switching cables etc in the back.
The only wheels I've seen are attached to a board on the bottom....I would prefer wheels attached to the ends of the steel threads. Has any tried this or found wheels like this?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
The only way I know that you could get wheels on the thread ends would be to have it welded on, lay a nice bead all the way around the threaded rod placed directly on top of a steel caster like the one shown.
It would be strong as heck but also it would be pretty darn ugly.
I don't see why you need access behind your flexy enough to warrant putting caster on it. I have several heavy components on a flexy that is against a wall and I have no trouble pulling out the rack when I need to.
1395.jpg

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
I put casters on the bottom of my flexy, as it's 5 feet tall and HEAVY! I used a double layer of MDF for the bottom shelf and glued them together. The top layer has an 11/16" hole to fit the 5/8" all thread, and the bottom layer has a 1-1/2" hole, so the washer and nut is actually recessed into the bottom layer. I screwed casters much like what James shows above onto the bottom layer over the hole with the washer and nut inside. Use 1" screws so they catch both layers. This way, the all thread is practically resting on the caster. I put 2-1/4" molding on the front and sides, and you can barely see the wheels.

RonM

Grip
Gordon,
Thanks for the link, the Salamander will probably work for my center speaker....would like to find something smaller for my rack.
My rack will fit into a built in cabinet so it's difficult to get behind it but at this point I may just have to deal with it.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks