What's new

Flexy rack with PE cherry vinyl! (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Well, just finished the rack yesterday, and you can see some pictures of the final product here and
here.

I asked a question yesterday, but I'll rewrite it up here: should I have any structural concerns about the frame holding up a 27" TV? I don't doubt that the receiver and all will be okay, but I only used 5/16" rod (now I know to go up in size, not down), so will there be any problems? I know that swaying from side-to-side will be bad for the frame, but there won't be much lateral movement going on.

let me know what you all think!

Sincerely,
Your local-HT-crazy-college-student. :D

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Joe, that looks GREAT! Every time I see someone mention parts express vinyl veneer, I think "yeah right, that'll look stupid", but you have shown me the light! If I ever build my own mains, I'll be using the p/e vinyl for sure.

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
So, I got to poking around the directory structure there, what I want to know is who is the one shredding on the guitar? That guy is friggen good!

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
"Your local-HT-crazy-college-student"

dude your one too?

BTW looks nice, lot better then i would have guessed

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Allen, are you asking if I am a crazy college student? If so, na.. I am a mid 30's software engineer family man. But I will always like listening to great axemen.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
hehe...thanks guys, I'm glad you're enjoying this project as much as I am...hopefully I'll be able to finish all the layers tomorrow night, at latest Saturday. Then I'll post finished pictures.

And yeah, I'm a college student, fun stuff. Go Wolverines. :)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
At the expense of sounding stupid, what's a flexy rack? Seems like something that hangs and holds components maybe?

*edit* Nevermind, google to the rescue :)

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Ben, a flexy is a bunch of shelves held together by althread rods and LOTS of nuts and washers. I think the "flexy" part comes from it's infinite adjustability. See my link below for some pictures of my "flexy".

*edit* - Sorry Ben, didn't see that you researched flexys. I think you would have equal success by searching here in this forum as you would using google for this subject.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Well it's just standing there next to me right now (I was going to take more pictures while I built it, but my sister took the digicam to a sleepover...), but I have one question before I start moving the components over tomorrow:

Will a 27" TV be a weight issue on the rack? It's 3/4" MDF shelves with 5/16" threaded rod. I know that you usually use 3/8" rod, but they didn't have enough of them at the time...will this be an issue? I don't really see the rod being a huge risk concerning structural integrity, since the forces are downward, not side to side...so the MDF should be safe, right? No bending, cracking?

Thanks all, pictures will be up tomorrow afternoon :D (It's gorgeous...to me, at least)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
wow 5/16, thats pretty small, how heavy is the TV? The 5/16 rod will support the weight of many 27 inch tvs vertiaclly, but what you have to worry about it the lateral movements, the swaying and bucking. think it might be a little small, unless you only have about 6 inched in-between shelves.

To be honest the smallest i would safely go would be 1/2

BTW when you get your camera back some pics of a slumber party, would be nice too, unless she's like 12, then never mind.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Well, pictures of the final product are up, let me know what you guys think of it...roughly a total cost of $35. Don't forget to tell me if I should worry about putting a TV on top.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
The corners...heh. Well, they're inconsistent, if nothing else. I tried a couple of different methods of when to cut and when to stick, but for the most part, they're pretty decent. A few (3 or 4) had some bigger issues than the other, but it's nothing that you can see from a few feet away, and I think I got lucky, in that the corners with problems are mostly on the backside. :)

But I just went and looked through some of the flexy rack projects I had bookmarked, and I'm worried about mine, since everybody used like 5/8" or 18mm rods...

I don't exactly cherish the thought of my TV crashing down onto my receiver and whatnot, so if people here tell me they actually think it'll be a problem, I have 3 more shelves that aren't used (possible additions in the future), and another whole roll of the vinyl that I might just make another 2-level rack for the TV with. Keep it short too, since my current "rack" (it's one of those industrial racks that you see in stores all the time...great for assembling/disassembling, but sucks on the aesthetics) is rather high. It'd be nice to have teh TV at eye-level.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Well, impatience got the best of me on this boring boring day (along with measuring and tightening each level), so I just went ahead and put everything in place...and it's working great! No bend in the wood...haven't heard any odd sounds .

For pictures on it's final placement, along with pictures of my gargantuan temporary Tempest enclosure, check out my webspace, pictures 106-0627_IMG.JPG through 106-0632_IMG.JPG

Tomorrow: Time to finish up my stands!

Nat Ward

Agent
Seeing that you're a Paradigm owner, have you compared the color of the PE cherry to the Rosenut of the Studio series speakers? I'm going to build my own sub and was wondering if that might be an easier way to go compared to staining.
Nat Ward

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I got all the parts from the local home depot. Simple, eh? :)

Nat, as for the color comparison to the rosenut...I had a pair of Monitor 9s before the 40s, and the rosenut is more purple-ish, and not so strong of a color either. Personally, since I'd think in fashion terms, I don't know how well these two colors would look right next to each other, since they're kind of close, and yet still very different. Maybe another color of the vinyl would better suit you?

And Allen, no, it's not really wobbly...my main concern was the nuts loosening from installation of the components (shaking of the stand, vibrations), but I'll check them every now and then to make sure they're tight. Other than that, I'm going to attach and light thread with a weight on the end to a corner to watch for vibrations in the stand...it doesn't wobble too much, but it's like a big pendulum if you just barely nudge it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks