Flexy Rack Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by warrick, Mar 9, 2002.

1. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I have been checking out the flexy racks at Salamander Designs and like them a lot. I would love to re-create them but I have been unable to find the nuts/bolts that they use on the tops. Can anyone help me with the name of this type of nut/bolt so I can find a local supplier (Sydney Australia)

regards

Warrick

2. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

Warrick,

I've made a six shelf flexy unit and a couple of speaker stands modelled after that nut and bolt look. I think you are referring to "acorn nuts" which can be used to finish the top of the threaded rods. For a while I used a plastic cap that I found at Home Depot which was meant to go over the end of furniture legs and it worked fine and was quite decorative. I don't know if you have a Home Depot where you are but I would think that any Home Center would carry something similar. I believe McMaster Carr carries the acorn nut on their website.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

3. warrick

Jeff,

I have seen others using acorn nuts but what I am looking for is the flat ones that are used on the salamander units.

They look like tube with a large flat head and the thread on the inside. I have seen similar thing on IKEA products but don't know what they are called, this makes it very hard when you call up a distributor and ask if they have any.

regards

warrick

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Do you mean a T-nut (tee-nut)? These are available a Home Depot or Lowe's but I don't know if they will carry the size you want.
    Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. GregE

GregE Agent

I looked for t-nuts when I built my flexy entertainment center. The largest I could find anywhere (including online) was like 5/8". I've decided to use molding and a top board above where the rods poke out on top; encasing or boxing them in. This way they won't be visible. How high are you going to make your rack? You could use a threaded rod that is terminated on one end. You might need to couple two rods together to get the desired length.

6. warrick

Ryan

it is sort of like a T-Nut but it is solid with a hex (allen) key hole in the top and no spikes

Greg

I just want them flush with the top and I am making a TV Rack first with four shelves to hold amp, dvd player etc and the TV on top

I found one at work last night but it is avery small one and one of the guys at work is going to see if he can find anything bigger, but still no-one knows what they are called

Warrick

7. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator