Flexy question - painting zinc plated hardware

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed_A, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I'm in the process of putting together my first flexy TV stand, and have all the hardware (i.e. nuts, washers, 5/8" threaded rod). I'd like to paint the hardware flat black but not sure it'll stick. All the hardware is zinc plated.
    Any tips or procedures for painting zinc hardware would be really appreciated for this amateur...should I use a primer paint first?
    Here's Myram's website where he shows his painted hardware for his flexy...it looks really nice (if Myram reads this, I'd like to here how you did it). [​IMG]
    http://www.angelfire.com/me4/myram/
    Thanks,
    Ed

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I'm currently in the process of building my wife some flexy-shelves. We couldn't find 5/8" all-thread in 6 foot section that looked decent (no oxidation/rust) so we finally decided to just buy what we could and paint it. Bought some aluminum colored Rustoleum and went to painting. It seemed to bond pretty well - spinning a nut across it doesn't seem to take it off. Of course the all-threads aren't zinc plated (or if they are, its a terrible job) but this worked well.