flexy painting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Bishop, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Paul Bishop

Paul Bishop Auditioning

I built my flexy rack a couple years ago when the whole Flexy thing first started, and I'm just now getting around to finishing it properly.
    I can't find any good "how to paint your flexy rack" threads in the archives, so I'm hoping someone here can give me the pros and cons of different techniques. Which type of paint? What delivery method (spray, roller, etc.)?
    -paul

2. RandyL

RandyL Agent

What did you make it out of?

3. Paul Bishop

Paul Bishop Auditioning

Sorry, I just assumed everyone was making theirs out of MDF [​IMG].
    Mine is the standard MDF flexy.

4. RandyL

RandyL Agent

I've read every Flexy post here (just do a search for FLEX and read on! Tons about painting).
    For MDF:
    Be sure to seal any cut edges or they'll soak up endless paint and never get the same gloss or finish as the rest of the piece.

5. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I made a standard MDF flexy about 5-6 months ago. I primed with two coats of white primer, heavy on the edges. I then sanded lightly. Next, I brushed on 3 coats of black paint, heavy on the edges. I topped with a coat of clear enamel. I think that it came out looking pretty good. I could have been a little more patient, and painted slower, but each of the four main shelves is covered with equipment. For the top, 5th shelf, I picked the best looking out the five. I have received several compliments on it.
    Good luck with yours. Don't paint outside in cold weather, and follow the directions on the paint can about drying times.
    -Chris

6. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I would recommend a roller, sponge, or paint brush rather than spray paint. I used spray paint and that mdf sucked it up like it was nothing. [​IMG]
    Jon

7. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

8. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Hi Bill.
    I use plain old wood fill. You don't need a ton. Just take a spackler or your finger and rub it over the cut edges. Nothing you can't handle. Stuff is real easy to work with. Dries fast & cleans up with a little di-hydrogen oxide which is available all over the place. A quick sand job and you are ready to seal/prime.
    For nasty stuff I use KILZ. This product will do the trick like no other. I have used it on all sorts of things from metal to mildew with no problems. It does have a wicked smell so be sure to use in a well ventilated area. You can also use standard primer which I have done on many occasions when I ran out of the other stuff. But sure to let it dry if applying multiple coats. I know when we paint we want to get it done but the longer you wait, the better it looks. Don't forget to sand again. Wipe it clean with something as lint free as possible. I like to blow it off with a filtered compressor.
    Now you have 2 options. I used to use just the cans B.C.(that's before compressor[​IMG] ) but it was a long, slow, sometimes drippy process. Now like what many others have said I use a roller. This is due to several reasons. 1st there is a lot of area to cover EVENLY. 2nd much easier to control. 3rd goes on thicker so less coats needed. Sand after each, wet preferably before the last coat. Now depending what type of finish you want you can go in different directions from here. If you like what you have then you are done. Nice Flexy completed.
    I don't like the rolled finish for a final look. Give me a super high gloss. Now that I have a spray gun I can achieve a perfect finish. Wet sanding a MUST and it is a super pain in the A$$ to keep dust and little particles of crap out. For me I love that look so it is worth it. Before the gun I used to spray on high gloss clear polly or enamel in the cans. You can go to the auto store and pick some up.
    So, be patient and do things right slowly the 1st time through. Use some pieces of scrap MDF to work on your technique and practice on to see how things will turn out. Hope this helps!!! I will be putting up some pics soon of completed projects. I've come a long way since my first A/V rack baby[​IMG]
    CHrIS