What's new

Flexy-based entertainment center done. What do you think? (1 Viewer)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I finally got the rack done and in my room. Check out the pics in my sig. Right now the TV kind of ruins the look. But I am buying a better one this week:)

Comments welcome.

Andy_IU_Purdue

Auditioning
Justin, sorry I'm so late in finding this thread, but I love the look of your flexy rack. I have thought about making one of these myself, but the WAF of the visible thread rod was my downfall.

Can you explain how exactly you did the PVC over the rod? How can you tighten (or loosen and move) the nuts, make the pipe the right length, etc... What am I missing?

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
work up from the bottom,

get the bottom nut in the right spot, then tighten the nut on top,
next set the height of the second nut,
place PVC over the top then MDF then nut on top tighten and repeat.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Wow my thread has been resurrected.

Andy, thanks for the interest. Allan just desicribed exactly how I did the PVC rods.

Just calculate your shelve heights in advance and work your way up from the bottom. To get your shelf heights take a height measurement of the equipment you want to be put in there and then put on a litte extra, depending on how much clearance you need for cooling or whatever. Even with my shelves close together my amp never gets hot like it used to. Before it even had about 7 inches above it. But since the flexy is open to the front, back and sides the heat disperses well.

Andy_IU_Purdue

Auditioning
Thanks for the tips, guys. Now I see how it can be done. I had previously thought about applying something to cover the all thread after the fact, after assembly was completed, but just couldn't think of anything that would work well. This is much nicer.

I guess the disadvantage is that you lose the 'flexi' in flexi-rack, as you might need to disassemble the whole rack and make new PVC pipes to change some shelf heights, but I'm willing to pay that price. I don't expect to ever change the heights once I put it together, and any attempts I could think of to cover the rods after assembly would have had the same limitation.

Excellent work on the finish of both the PVC and the shelves, Justin. Both were something I had not seen before, and are a large reason I am reconsidering making one of these. Since I live in an apt, and it is winter, it will be difficult to make anything now, but I will let you all know if I get around to making something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks