Flexy almost done...rubber washer and PE Vinyl questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joe Hsu, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

So I have all the pieces cut and drilled, and soon to be sanded with a palm sanded that someone lent me (whew!)...and all that's left are the rubber washers and the finish. Where does one go to find these rubber washers, and specifically, around Detroit? Home Depot doesn't have them, neither did a hardware store around teh corner.

As for the PE vinyl, I was wondering if I HAD to have the cut edges of the MDF sanded down, or could the vinyl's adhesive side stick to the rough wood still. If it will still stick w/o any future worries, that'll save me a crapload of sanding...

All of my DIY projects are almost complete! Should be done by the end of the week, depending on PE shipping and laziness. [​IMG]

2. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

I did not use rubber washers. No problems.

3. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

It seems to me that if you use rubber washers, it would decrease the lateral stiffness of your stand, causing it to have a bit of sway.

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

i used the zinc washers at HD and really cranked on it with my 15/16ths wrench that i bought for my flexy, it is rock solid and will support anything. I actually just finished it up (painted it) and put it back together, i will post some pics when i get some time, i also picked up the 5/8ths rubber feet at HD, now i am not worried if its on hardwood.

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

6. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

My understanding is that the reason for the rubber washers is to keep the wood/marble/mdf/granite/etc from being scratched by the metal washer/hexnut.

If thats not a concern (say you're never going to use that MDF/Granite/Marble/Plexiglass for anything else) then its true that youd get less "flex" from just metal washers.

Daffy Arthur King

7. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

I thought the rubber washers were for some sort of "vibration reduction". At any rate, I don't think they are necessary, but the rubber feet from Home Depot that Allen mentioned are worth their weight in gold. I have them on my stand too.

8. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

hmmm, okay, I was under the impression that they were used for vibration reduction purposes as well, but if it's really for other reasons, I'm not too concerned if the wood gets scratches or impressions...so then it's just up to the PE vinyl to come in, I guess.

As for the rubber feet, maybe I'll pick up a set in the future, but I'm just sitting the rack on carpet, so the bare threaded rod should be fine for me...

I can't wait. I should finish up my stands today or tomorrow, and then the rack later on this week...the sub's bumpin along as I type...all is good. [​IMG]

9. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Well, shipping at PE is rather insane, so I just bought 2 rolls of the cherry vinyl instead of paying another 6 bucks in the future...so I'll be finishing my rack in cherry, along with the wood-parts of my stands.

Is PE's shipping generally pretty fast? It says they're in OH, and I'm in MI, so UPS shouldn't take more than a day or two...meaning Thursday or Friday, which would be awesome.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Joe,

I get parts from PE in 2 days most of the time. Before I had my dealer account it was 3 days. So I'd expect you to have your shipment in 2 days probably.