Flexi Rack and threaded bars

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Nibeck, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know where I can purchase chrome tubes? Thinking about a flexi rack and want to hide the threaded pipe.

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Here's a cheaper solution (and easy to find)...use PVC pipe and paint it chrome. (You can find chrome spray paint in most hobby or craft shops.)
    First degrease the pipe with a strong solvent like acetone. This will also remove ink from the surface so it won't show through. Spray on some primer for good adhesion. Then spray on your "chrome." [​IMG]

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I think the PVC would be a LOT cheaper. But really, the all-thread rods don't look too bad if you go pretty thick. I went 5/8 inch with mine. 3/4 would look pretty cool, but at that point the rods are almost twice as expensive.
    Here's a link to my flexy TV stand
    http://photos.yahoo.com/ryan_schnacke/

4. GregE

GregE Agent

When I was designing my flexy entertainment center I had the same position of not wanting to see the threaded rod. PVC is cheap and easy to work with but I didn't care for the "feel" of PVC. It is too light, not a strong sturdy feel. What I did was to use 1 1/4" conduit over the 3/4" threaded rod. This worked out really well. I painted the conduit black and added a few coats of poly. Looks great next to the maple veneered MDF. The flexy ent center is built like a brick sh** house and weighs a ton. I just got a digital camera for Christmas and will take a few pics if someone can tell me where/how to post them as I do not have my own space.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I used 5/8" also and it looks fine.. don't even really notice to tell you the truth.
    I just built mine today and set it up half an hour ago, still haven't cleaned up the wiring yet... that's my only complaint about the flexi rack, there's not much for cable management.
    [​IMG]
    not bad for $35 and an hours work IMO.

6. William H

William H Auditioning

Just curious, but what is conduit?

Thanks,

WH

7. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

This is conduit. Dirt cheap at any hardware store. Also called EMT tubing.
    [​IMG]
    Another option is tubing from Ikea- the Niklas line. Can purchase the tubing alone in black or silver. Very polished look.

8. GregE

GregE Agent

Brian: Is that a 6.5 or a 7.0? Looks awesome. I am anxiously waiting on a pair of SM 6.9. Do you have any problems with it being so close to the wall? I need to get to work on my speaker stands so they are ready for the 6.9s. What heigth are yours? I was thinking 24". I really like seeing pics of everyone's flexy and how they built them. I will post a pic of my flexy center tonight.

9. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Greg,
    Thats a 6.5. I don't keep them that close to the wall normally. Would like to have them 3-4 feet out in fact if I could. I think 4-6 inches would be a reasonable minimum for HT and 8-12 inches for music. The 6.9 SM are a great choice- heard a pair at a friend's house.
    Those stands are 25 inches high. Here is a pic of the parts used to make them :
    http://members.aol.com/brianf1429/ht1.jpg

10. Andrew_Chan

Andrew_Chan Agent

Is there a place where I can buy those fluorescent plastic board? I think it'll look very nice to have a flexi rack w/ those boards. It might not be able to hold a heavy thing, but it'll still be good for a VCR or DVD player

11. Terry McCann

Terry McCann Auditioning

Dave,

I'll offer another alternative for your consideration. I also did not care for the look of the exposed threaded rod, so I built mine using 1-1/4" birch dowels connected by dowel screws.

The only difficult part of the process was centering the hole for the screws since I made the mistake of assuming that 1-1/4" meant 1-1/4" from dowel to dowel and that the dowels would be truly round, both of which proved to be untrue. On the plus side, the 36" dowels sell for about $5 each so I only spoiled about $25 worth of stock.

I used MDF for the shelves since I planned to paint them anyway, but you could build a really nice looking rack using birch ply with a natural finish or stained to your taste.

I would not attempt the dowel technique without using a drill press, however. The probability of having all of the holes perpendicular in that many dowels when using a hand drill is vanishingly small. With the drill press, however, it went very well. It is also a good idea to mark the dowels after cutting so you can use the cuts from the same piece of stock going up the column during assembly.

Good luck,

Terry

12. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

I used the 5/8 all thread and i used the smaller size dont know exact) of the black wire split loom tubing. It only cover about 3/4 of the thread but fron the front or sides you cannot see the explosed all thread in the back 1/4Ill have to take some pics to show ya. It looks great