Roland Lataille
Cool poster

post-288232-0-09872500-1406038254.jpg

Matthew Byrd_274727

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
Todd J Moore said:
Anyone with a field sequential copy and Pinnacle Studio 17 can make their own side by side version the movie. Far from blu-ray quality but it does the trick.

The whole point of the project was to improve on the quality of my existing field-sequential copy, by matching the clean Criterion left-eye copy to the only right-eye source I have available (the VHS copy). The biggest challenge was matching the frames between the different sources, as my VHS copy had many missing frames during scene/reel changes, and my Criterion source was 23.98 fps, compared to the 30 fps of the VHS. I can only hope that someone does a clean DVD or Blu-Ray based on the right-eye view someday, so I can cobble a decent over/under version together.

The irony is that a straight transfer of the original film frames (containing both views) would yield a perfectly usable, perfectly matched over/under video that could be viewed on any 3D television. It would take less work to accomplish that, than trying to isolate the left view, I would think.

tyee

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
I made an over under version recently from an ebay dvd I bought years ago. I used avisynth to extract the fields for each eye. It's quality is pretty poor. I could upload a clip to utube if you wanted to see it. As far as I'm concerned I only see 3 scenes that required 3D in the whole movie so I'm pretty happy with my 2D japan Blu-ray.

PS - I saw this in the theatre when first released and I sat through it twice in a row and it was very uncomfortable on my eyes!

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I don't find it unwatchable. In fact, I find the gold/cyan type helps with the colors better than red/green.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
When Channel 4 showed it as part of their 3D season I was eager to see it again after so many years but although some of the other material was OK, I gave up on FFF. Apart from Spy Kids 3, I've seen very few anaglyphs on TV which were worth bothering with.

Just to add insult to injury, the next day my Sky+ PVR died and took FFF with it, along with Friday the 13th. 111 3D so I never got the chance to have another look.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
StephenDH said:
Just to add insult to injury, the next day my Sky+ PVR died and took FFF with it, along with Friday the 13th. 111 3D so I never got the chance to have another look.

Might I gently suggest it lost its will to live? A not-unheard of consequence of any showing of Flesh for Frankenstein. ;-)

tyee

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Somebody has just uploaded a 3D version to utube here. Select side by side to get the best version I think. I don't have glasses to check how good it is but please let us know. The quality of the main movie is quite good though!

tyee

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
What about when you select "interleaved", does that stream a different version of the movie? I was thinking maybe avisynth could separate the 2 fields from the interleaved version and create a typical sbs or ou version, but how to download only that interleaved version?

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don't see any way to download any other versions, unless I'm missing something.

If there's an easy way to turn anaglyphs into sbs I've yet to see it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
3D on YouTube allows you to select how you view it, whether it be anaglyph, side by side or interleaved (there are some other options as well). It's in the settings cog in the bottom of the viewing panel.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Stephen_J_H said:
3D on YouTube allows you to select how you view it, whether it be anaglyph, side by side or interleaved (there are some other options as well). It's in the settings cog in the bottom of the viewing panel.

I think those options only apply when a video was originally uploaded in a side-by-side (or similar) format, where each eye could be viewed separately. Then youtube could play it side-by-side, interleaved, anaglyph, whatever. The Flesh for Frankenstein link above appears to just be an anaglyph (ColorCode) 480p upload. So no options on that particular video.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
AWF is an amazing 3D experience. I saw it twice - when it opened and in the '80's at a 3D festival at the 8th Street Playhouse on NYC. Both times it looked amazing with fantastic forward projection in the image. The is no reason why computers can't fix any of the problem shots mentioned here- but I don't remember any of them

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks