What's new

Flesh-eating zombie films... (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I need some advice. Can anyone recommend any good flesh-eating zombie pics? I've seen the Romero trilogy and the Return of the Living Dead movies. I'm thinking of picking up Dead Alive this weekend because I've heard so much about it.

As for upcoming movies...I know Resident Evil is coming up in March. I've also heard about a movie called 28 Days Later from the Trainspotting chaps. Any more I should know about?

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
Todd:
Believe it or not, a true flesh-eating zombie movie is hard to find. I think the idea itself turns off theaters due to the inevitable rating problems (NC17, etc.).
Aside from the dead trilogy and Return of the Living Dead (the first one was GREAT!) I only know of some low budget and Italian made films:
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
City of the Walking Dead
Zombie
Here are some links to check out as well. Some mix in the true zombie flicks with other horror (like the Evil Dead):
http://www.flesheaters.btinternet.co.uk/zindex.htm
http://www.arachnia.com/Best-of-Horr...bie-movies.htm
http://www.htwm.de/luehr/zombie/history.html
Good luck and be sure to stock up on weapons and ammo!
:D

Julie K

Screenwriter
Ah, my favorite subject...

Flesh munching zombies may be hard to find in the theaters, but they thrive on home video. There's been a shortage lately, but things are looking up. Shortly we should be seeing such gems as Dead and Rotting, Death Island (from Savini), the Undead, an Australian flic, and some others I can't remember. Also coming to DVD this summer are the ultra-gory German films Premutos and Violent Shit III. In the meantime, some older goodies:

The Beyond

City of the Living Dead

Dead and Buried

The Boneyard

Redneck Zombies

The Dead Hate the Living (I really love this film)

Hell of the Living Dead

The Dead Next Door

Re-animator (a must have)

Bride of Re-animator

The Evil Dead movies (more must haves)

Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetary Man - wonderful, wonderful film, but you'll need a regionfree player)

Bio-zombie (another must have)

I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more after I hit 'submit'.

And by all means pick up Dead Alive, and Bad Taste as well. Ok, in Bad Taste they're technically aliens, but they act a lot like zombies.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Flesh-eating zombies? The first thought that went through my head was of my ex-wife. But we'll overlook that for now.

I've mentioned this before: As great as the Romero trilogy is, I actually prefer the Tom Savini-directed remake of Night of the Living Dead. It's so damn good that, for two solid hours, I can believe in flesh-eating zombies.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well beyond endorsing Night of the Living... and Dawn of the Dead, I doubt I can be of much help.
However, once school is out in Vegas, I'm sure you can expect some input from our resident zombie expert. :D

Julie K

Screenwriter
Knew I'd forget some!

I, Zombie

Dead Creatures

These two are quite different in that they are told from the zombies' viewpoint. They are still the people they were before the zombie infection, but now they require human flesh and eventually rot to pieces. Dead Creatures is much more polished than I, Zombie, but I like them both. ("I used to be a vegetarian, but now I only eat human flesh.")

Idle Hands

Maybe not a traditional zombie movie, but it's funny and has a couple of zombies.

Tombs of the Blind Dead

BTW, I wasn't kidding about Re-animator. Jeffrey Combs makes a wonderfully evil Herbert West who is ever eager to inject corpses with his reagent to bring them back to life. Pity, no one ever seems happy to be brought back...

Anyway, pick it up along with Dead Alive and have a wonderful gross-out double feature.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Curious: three of HTF's most vehement skeptics turn up together in a thread about zombie movies.

Hey, I got one for you: Bunny Lake Is Missing! The Zombies can be seen performing in that film, which stars, among others, Keir Dullea (he played in a movie I really like). I think The Zombies are playing "She's Not There" in the flick. Since The Zombies were part of the original British Invasion, I doubt Julie would care for them much. She hates The Beatles. But no one is perfect.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I've also seen the Evil Dead movies, the Re-animator movies, and strangely enough Redneck Zombies. I also vaguely remember seeing a few low-budget foreign zombie movies as a kid, but I can't remember the names. But you've given me some good suggestions. I think I'll definitely pick up Dead Alive this weekend. Is there a definitive version on DVD I should look for?

Julie K

Screenwriter
Since The Zombies were part of the original British Invasion, I doubt Julie would care for them much. She hates The Beatles.
I'm afraid I had much more pressing concerns on my mind at the time, like how to improve my mastery over wobbly legs that tended to propel me headfirst into the nearest wall without warning.
In any case, I'll have you know that I'm currently enjoying the latest Zombie album very much. Oh, wait, I doubt you were talking about a Mr. Robert Zombie, were you? :D
Todd,
Unless you have the a regionfree player, you only have the Trimark Dead Alive DVD as a possibility. It's not as complete as the original Braindead (but Jackson says he prefers the shorter US cut), but it's a lot better than the R-rated VHS version. Buy the Trimark disc and you won't be disappointed.
Here's another classic: Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. (It is a low budget Italian film - they are probably an acquired taste ;) )
BTW, if you haven't seen Re-animator on DVD, you haven't seen Re-animator. It was cut badly for the VHS release. Go for the unrated DVD and you'll see a whole new movie.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"Oh, wait, I doubt you were talking about a Mr. Robert Zombie, were you?"
I met the guy once, when doing a story for an L.A.-based music publication. He's really nice.
But, no, as you well know, I speak of the Odyssey and the Oracle brand of Zombies, since it's "The Time of the Season" (brilliant hooks in that tune).
Hey, RobertR: Any relatives in Pittsburgh? :)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
3 words. Zombie. Flesh. Eaters.
You ain't seen nothing till you've seen an underwater battle between a zombie and a shark! :D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hey, RobertR: Any relatives in Pittsburgh?
None that I know of, Jack. Especially none that have a taste for flesh. Or should I say human flesh? Or should I say a taste for consuming human flesh? Oh heck, you know what I mean. :)
Does anyone remember a cheapie drive-in grade movie called The Flesh Eaters?

JustinW

Grip
Speaking of foreign Zombie movies there's a new one about to be released here in Australia called Undead. The trailer doesn't look to bad but it does look kinda like Night of The Living Dead.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Well, I managed to pick up Dead Alive. I found it for $15 at Media Play. After watching it, I've gotta say that it was pretty good. The mixture of gore and humor worked for the most part. It's hard to believe that the same person that made this film also made LOTR. You've come a long way Mr. Jackson.

I also saw The Dead Hate The Living, but didn't pick it up. I'll save that one for next time.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
OK, this flick looks like it's from the 50s or early 60s and I recall there is an army of zombie/dead being raised by aliens(?) to take over the world, blah blah blah. These zombies don't eat people though (too bad).

It really scared the pants off me. There were large shots of whole zombie armies shambling through the streets of a city and (i think) theramin music.

Anyone know what this is I'd love to know!

Thanks!

Jason

Julie K

Screenwriter
I should perhaps mention that The Dead Hate The Living works best if you have a knowledge and appreciation for the Italian zombie movies. It should still work if you're not familiar with them, but you'll miss a lot of in-jokes.
It's hard to believe that the same person that made this film also made LOTR.
Yeah, and if he could only go back to those days....
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks