1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Fleischer's SUPERMAN ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

There are so many public domain editions!

What's the best and the most complete edition of Fleischer's SUPERMAN cartoons?

While I'm at it, what's the best and complete edition of Fleischer's HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN? and GULLIVER'S TRAVELS ?

What about other Fleischer collections?
    It seems that they are poor quality public domain collections mixed in with other stuff. Somebody needs to do a survery of Fleischer on DVD and come up with the best of what's what.

2. Lenny Rakes

Lenny Rakes Stunt Coordinator

There was a set that came out a few years back by "WinStar Home Entertainment": "Superman The Lost Episodes", this DVD contains the 8 cartoons done by Famous Studios and the other volume Max Fleischer's Superman" has the other 9 cartoons. The picture quality is good, but the sound is a little off. Try doing an Amazon search on the two DVD's.

3. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

do a search, there are at least two existing threads with the info you need. [​IMG]

4. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Some years back I (with assistance from Bill Williams and animation historian Jerry Beck) did an article on the Fleischer cartoons and their state. It's not currently available on the net, but in a nutshell I can tell you Warner Bros./DC Comics and the UCLA Film and TV Archive hold the original 35mm nitrate elements and interpositives. WB officially made select Fleischer cartoons available on VHS editions of "The Adventures Of Superman". This is the only "official" release of the toons to date, so any future release taken direct from original negatives (as opposed to 35mm prints) would have to come from WB.

If you really want a good quality video of the Fleischer cartoons, I suggest Bosko Video's editions, which are titled "The Superman Cartoons Of Max and Dave Fleischer".

Continue to be beware of bargain basement and/or low power/low-budget television editions of the cartoons. I promise you they won't be A-1 quality.

5. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

Rumor has it these cartoons will appear on the Superman: The Ultimate Collection 14 disc set, scheduled for release later this year omn both DVD and HD-DVD.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    We'll be getting all of them, along with the two Kirk Alyn serials in some way or another. WB has access to all the 3-strip negatives held at the UCLA Film & TV Archive, so they could produce stunning remasters.

7. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

8. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson

We will? Do you have confirmation on this? I'd love to see these 'toons properly restored...until then, the Bosko DVD is a good stopgap measure.