What's new

"Fleischer Classics featuring Gulliver's Travels" (1939) coming to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Not to derail the thread, but can someone fill me in on "Technicolor Dreams"? It sounds like something I want in on.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Steve Stanchfield came to visit me last month and gave me a sampler on Technicolor dreams. It is amazing. It has a three strip technicolor film made BEFORE Flowers and Trees. Lots of really obscure color films. If you are a fan of Ted Eschbaugh, you will go nuts over it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Russell G said:
Not to derail the thread, but can someone fill me in on "Technicolor Dreams"? It sounds like something I want in on.
A pre-order ad on the Thunderbean's webpage reveals some of the cartoons plus screenshots

thunderbeanclassicdvdsmain.jpg

There is also a blog post on the rare Ted Eschbaugh Technicolor prints and restoration of The Snowman for this set.

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/work-in-progress-restoring-eshbaugh-films-in-color/

Regarding the pre-order ad, I'd disregard the release date. It has obviously been delayed. From the recent news, I expect it to start getting shipped no sooner than February

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
bigshot said:
It has a three strip technicolor film made BEFORE Flowers and Trees.
Will Krupp said:
Huh? An unreleased, experimental film?
From Steve Stanchfield in Cartoon Research about the Ted Eshbaugh film on the Technicolor Dreams Blu-Ray:
The Wizard of Oz (1933) was being produced with funding from Technicolor before Disney signed the exclusive rights to the process for three years.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The original three strip elements were thought to be long gone, but Steve ran across them in a public archive mislabeled as B&W elements. He took a chance and transferred all three and combined them and hit pay dirt. BEAUTIFUL print. Super saturated and gaudy as all get out! There's also a newly discovered Joy and Gloom short done right after Sunshine Makers and a great color print of Snowman. The B&W titles are eye opening too, especially the Van Beuren.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Ted Eschbaugh is an animation pioneer who has been pretty much left out of the history books, because of most animation historians' Disney/WB bias. For a different view on animation history, see Nat Falk's account here...

natfalk01copy.jpg

NAT FALK: HOW TO MAKE ANIMATED CARTOONS Pt 1
http://animationresources.org/?p=242

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
bigshot said:
The original three strip elements were thought to be long gone, but Steve ran across them in a public archive mislabeled as B&W elements. He took a chance and transferred all three and combined them and hit pay dirt. BEAUTIFUL print. Super saturated and gaudy as all get out!
WOW!!!!!!

I assume animated, yes?

One of the main reasons Technicolor wanted to secure the Disney contract was that the film stocks were so slow in 1932 that it was impossible to get enough light into a live action, moving image with the Technicolor camera. Animation, being static, allowed them to get color on the screen while they worked the "live action" kinks out.

That is really a great find!! Can't wait...

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The standard-def transfer of Eshbaugh's Wizard of Oz on Steve Stanchfield's preview disc is gorgeous; I can't wait for the Blu-Ray.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Steve had a family emergency this week. He will let everyone know the status soon.

ThadK

Second Unit
Paul Penna said:
The standard-def transfer of Eshbaugh's Wizard of Oz on Steve Stanchfield's preview disc is gorgeous; I can't wait for the Blu-Ray.
I saw that soon after he had it transferred. The garish gorgeous colors gave me nightmares. Glad the world will get to have it at last.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thunderbean said:
Updates on Gulliver in a few days..... in theory the replicated copies will be here this week!
For those of us who didn't get in on the pre-order deal, will there be a way to order the Blu-ray now?

Retro00064

Agent
Real Name
Zachary
bigshot said:
The original three strip elements were thought to be long gone, but Steve ran across them in a public archive mislabeled as B&W elements. He took a chance and transferred all three and combined them and hit pay dirt. BEAUTIFUL print. Super saturated and gaudy as all get out! There's also a newly discovered Joy and Gloom short done right after Sunshine Makers and a great color print of Snowman. The B&W titles are eye opening too, especially the Van Beuren.
Steve has said before that The Wizard of Oz is from a 35mm Technicolor IB print (and I have the sneak preview DVD with the raw transfer and it looks like a print), while The Snowman is the one where he found the original 2-strip seperation negatives, as shown in the Cartoon Research post linked to by JoHud above. Not that it matters much, because they still look great, but I just thought I'd point that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks