1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-A Disc...Anyone have it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunn, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Was just wondering about the quality of this disc...and the sound quality of DVD-A discs in general as well. Are they worth picking up? Or are they more of a "gimmick" as far as sound quality goes. Thanks.

2. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

Brian - I have this disc & it's a cracker!
    Well handled Surround Sound mix IMO & a gr8
    stereo mix as well ...
    There is also a "commentary" by the band where
    U listen to the album with them talking about
    various aspects of the recording etc
    Some nice photos & lyrics etc ...
    Enjoy - Paul [​IMG]

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

The stereo mix is 24/96K, and comes from the analog stereo masters.

The surround mix is new, and if memory serves me correctly Elliot Scheiner headed up the project.

Regards,

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

You don't mention whether you have DVD-Audio player or not, but with a DVD-Audio player the sound of this disc is very good - much better than the regular CD.

If you don't have a DVD-Audio player, you may only be able to access the DD 5.1 mix, which, IMO, is a good mix (agressive with the surrounds), but Dolby Digital sounds no where near as good as true DVD-Audio.

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I own a DVDA player and have about 20 discs so far. I'm very happy with the quality of sound from DVDA's.
    The Rumors disc is one of the best in my collection.
    Along with Hotel California and Two By Nature these are great sounding discs. Well worth the investment.
    JohnG[​IMG]

6. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I just dove into the world of DVD-A a few weeks ago and have only 2 discs, Rumours and Metallica's Black album. The Rumours disc is by far the better of the 2.

I listen to it in the surround mix and think they did a great job with the seperation. Listening to "The chain" I can hear all the different voices distinctly, something that wasn't so obvious on the CD. To answer your question, its no gimmick and sounds much better than CD. I still need to calibrate and play around with the setup so it can only get better....

All it took for me to decide to get into DVD-A was the fact Mick Fleetwood said that (because of the format) "finally, after 25 years, the public can hear Rumours the way I always wanted".

After listening to it, I have to agree.

7. Michael St. Clair

Is the stereo mix accessible via DVD-V players?

8. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Mike (St. Clair):

If my memory serves me correctly, the stereo version is only available in DVD-Audio format.

Brian (Bunn):

I too own Rumours, and while I've only heard the DVD-Video version (I have a Sony DVD player), it sounds incredible. It's a quality album too, which is always a plus. It's perhaps the best title to start your DVD-A collecion with.

9. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

I only have a regular DVD player. Another question: Can the commentary by the band members be accessed using only a regular DVD player, or does it require a DVD-A player as well?

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, Rumours is outstanding on DVD-Audio. It's a must-have if you like the album. As I recall, the commentary track is only accessible on DVD-Audio players.

11. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

The DVD-A of Rumours also has something that's very rarely mentioned in reviews: different mixes for a few of the songs. For example, the 5.1 mix on "Never Going Back Again" includes a snippet of music that was not featured on the original release (the original mix is what you hear if you listen to the stereo mix on the DVD-A). There are a couple of other minor changes that are offered on the 5.1 mix, such as different endings (again, the stereo version is preserved).
    Of course, both the stereo and the 5.1 mix offer the bonus track "Silver Springs," which was cut from the original release.
    BTW, the DVD-A of Rumours is so great that it almost feels like it's a new release.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Alan, excellent point regarding the extra tracks. Also, I agree in that the DVD-Audio disc is like a new release in comparison to the CD.

13. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I think this is what your looking for Brian!