What's new

Fleetwood Mac Remasters...worth it? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Besides the original Rumours LP my dad has, the only CD I have of Fleetwood Mac is the 2-Disc Greatest Hits set.

I would love to own these. I was curious to people's impressions of the remasters.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I just got the first album "Fleetwood Mac" and am really impressed. I never owned any other FM cd's so I can't compare, but the remaster sounds awesome. Definately not as compressed as todays newer stuff. I had to turn the volume up quit a bit compared to Tesla's newest to hit the same db level. I will be picking up the Rumours cd next.

IMHO

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
They're sonic upgrades across the boards compared to the old discs. ('Sara' was even editted on the original CD for space considerations). While they're some of the best remasters I've listened to in a while, it's the outtakes, demos, and roughs on the Tusk and Rumours two-disc sets that really make them worth a purchase.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Cool. I was waiting for some positive reports as well before jumping. Can't wait for the uncut Tusk! :)

Charlie-W

Grip
FYI- "Tusk" is mis-priced at bestbuy.com. They're selling it for $13.99 (should be $20-$22). I got mine last week.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
What Charlie said. Get thee to BB and pick up the 2-disk "Tusk" for $13.99. It sounds amazing, and this quirky, adventurous album just gets better with subsequent listens.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about you but this whole re-master thing really get me mad. I'm tired of investing my hard earned dollars in music only to have some new re-master or special edition show up a couple of years later.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Jim- Believe it or not, but I never bought the original CD version of Tusk. Kept the lp the whole time because of how they butchered the original CD...

Got to get my butt over to Best Buy before they figure it out... Thanks! ;)

Lance R

Grip
The Borders 20% off coupon (on the Coupons section of HTF) will get you Rumours and Tusk for $15.99 and Fleetwood Mac for $9.59. Best Buy does have Tusk cheaper (but only had one copy when I went on release day).

I got the Rumours and Tusk 2 CD sets and love both. It's nice to have the complete Tusk. I've read a few reviews and they mention how you will only listen to the bonus disc once. Well, I have been listening to the bonus discs quite a few times. Cool to have another version of Farmer's Daughter (Brian Wilson song written for the band, originally appeared on the 1980 Live) and the demo for Planets of the Universe (released on Stevie Nick's Trouble in Shangri-La) as well as some other unreleased gems. I always see the deluxe treatment for CD's I kind of like, this is what I've been waiting for. Wish they would finally rerelease Buckingham-Nicks on CD.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, let's be fair here. All three of these discs have been out in their previous form for some time now - at least 15 years. "Rumours" & "Fleetwood Mac" were released very early in the format and were overdue a re-mastering, and "Tusk" was released only in an edited version.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I just picked up Fleetwood Mac (11.99) and Tusk (13.99) at Best Buy and they sound great. I love Tusk. I think it is sorely underrated. The first time I heard it I was so disappointed. But it really held up under repeated listenings and has become one of my favorites. Next, I'll have to get Rumours.

Edit to add: I just listened to the bonus material and I thought it was a lot of fun. I especially liked the beginning of Sara, when Stevie says, "I wanna be a star. I don't wanna be a cleaning lady!"

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I got mine last weekend at BB. Have listened to the first two so far. I don't know if it's because I haven't listened to the CDs that I do have in a while, or mostly just having heard this stuff on a car radio, but they sound really good to me too. I'm hearing stuff in the mix that I didn't know was there. It's honestly like hearing all these songs for the first time again.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is I used to make fun of Fleetwood Mac cause, well, the name sounded funny. That and I thought they made wussy music.

Now I've purchased the three remasters, and I love Rumours. :D

My favorite Mac song is "You Make Loving Fun", and I like the rough outtake with the corny backing vocals by Stevie Nicks during the end.

My how things have changed in seven years.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Kind of obtuse to this thread, but I remember getting the Queen is Dead by the Smiths, and thinking it was too wussy for my tastes at that point, but 5 years later bought it again and it is still one of my favorites. You get older and wiser and maybe more open to more good music.

Users who are viewing this thread