Fleetwood Mac fans - help me out.

Discussion in 'Music' started by AndyVX, Jul 1, 2003.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hey all your Fleetwood Mac fans, you gotta help me out with something here.

I have their Rumours album, which I totally love. I want to pick up a few more of their albums, but I want some help with what to get.

They have so many albums, and I have so little cash... [​IMG]

So, where should I start?

Thanks a bunch.

2. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

I'd certainly be looking at TUSK ....it is, in my opinion, their very best. The self-titled FLEETWOOD MAC along with RUMORS and TUSK make up the great Fleetwood Mac triad. Since you love Rumors so much, you will certainly not be dissapointed with the other two, as they are the most similiar. Go further back or move further forward and things are somewhat different.

You might also want to consider picking up the 4-Disc THE CHAIN 25 YEARS OF FLEETWOOD MAC ...this was a pretty pricey item upon it's initial release, but I seem to remember seeing it available recently for much less. This boxset contains all the hits and a pretty good selection of album cuts. I really like the track selection, although there's many great tracks missing.

Good luck,
    JOn

3. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Andrew, I would recommend "The Chain". It's a greatest hits 4 disc collection that includes most of their hits. Its a best bang for your buck buy in my opinion.

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I strongly recommend their live CD (and DVD) The Dance.

Once of the best live performances I've heard from any band.

I prefer many of the cuts on that live performance over their actual studio versions (and I really like their studio stuff).

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Andy, if you want to sample all the phases of Fleetwood Mac...

Peter Green era : S/T & THEN PLAY ON & Otis Spann with Fleetwood Mac's THE BIGGEST THING SINCE COLOSSUS < awesome but hard to get, look in Europe.

Robert Welch era : MYSTERY TO ME < pretty awesome IMO & BARE TREES

You'll get plenty of recomendations about the later periods. Best wishes!

6. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I suggest Mirage and echo the self-titled Fleetwood Mac. Tango in the Night is a bit different but still good. Behind the Mask is without Lindsey Buckingham, but I still found it quite enjoyable.

7. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

My 2 favorite albums are Tusk and Mirage. Each offer contrasting examples of FM at different production levels. They also offer the most 'catchy hooks' for the dollar. [​IMG]

Enjoy!

8. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

The recording quality is not the best at times, but I would echo Rachael's recommendation of 'Then Play On'. It's my personal favorite, followed closely by 'Bare Trees'. Just skip the poem at the end.[​IMG]
    Tom

9. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Then Play On, Bare Trees, and Future Games are my three faves from Reprise.

If you are on a real budget and can play vinyl I would go to your largest Goodwill or Salvation Army. You should be able to find most of Mac's 70's output real cheap.

10. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Ok, well thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
    I picked up Tusk today. I'll give that a listen tonight, and maybe next week I can pick up some other things.

Probably picking up a greatest hits album would be the best thing for me to do at first. I'd get to sample stuff from past to present. Depending on what I like the most, I'd just take it from there.

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you all know how I like Tusk once I give it a listen or two.

11. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Me again...

Well, I didn't really get into Tusk. I borrowed the self titled album from a friend, and didn't really get into that either. The songs just didn't have the same lure as the ones on Rumours.

I think I will pick up a greatest hits album though. I just can't afford to start buying all their CD's, just to find out I don't really like them.

12. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Tusk is very much an acquired taste...certain tracks I really love and others...BLAH...(most of those Blah tracks for me involved Lindsay...)

Anyway...my suggestion...get the two disc best of Fleetwood Mac...nice overview of everything from 1975 on...

13. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I still urge that you give their live disc The Dance a listen.

The Greatest Hits will cover most of the songs, but they're performed beautifully on this live CD.

Someone back me up on this.

14. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

Andy, just keep in mind you're attempting to enjoy Tusk and Fleetwood Mac...on the first listen, as much as you do Rumours, which you've probably listened to much, much more. It's easy to fall in love with a particular album and then find that the artists other works don't hit you as hard...at first....but after repeated listenings you might then find you sometimes end up liking one of the other works even more. It just takes time...they have to overcome initial comparison to a title you love so much. At least, it has happened to me!

I would suggest giving each of them quite a few more spins before you make a judgement. Believe me, they will GROW on ya!

I really can't imagine someone loving Rumours and not finding similar joy with the other two? Tusk and Fleetwood Mack are, again IMO, the closest you'll come to Rumours, so if you don't care for them, I doubt you'll like much of the other stuff...especially some of their earlier stuff that has been suggested.

JOn

15. Ben_wood

Here are two more suggestions:

1) "Heroes are Hard to Find" Bob Welch and crew jam on the title cut and one of my all-time favorite Mac songs - "Shes Changing Me".

2) "Buckingham Nicks" ok so its not really Fleetwood Mac , but this album in my opinion is the most important non-FM album out there. This album so impressed Mick that he invited Lindsey and Stevie to join the Mac and the rest is history. Check out "Frozen Love" its one of my top 10 tunes of all time.[​IMG]

16. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

Except Buckingham Nicks is not legitimately available on CD of course...

17. Ben_wood

Legitimate or not, I enjoy my Australian import cd of "Buckingham Nicks" on Anthem Records. I bought it off of ebay and have found it to be a very clean sounding recording. There are some cds of "BN" out there from dubious sources that sound pretty bad, including pops and clicks from the worn out lp the cd was dubbed from. [​IMG]

18. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I suggest The Dance too. Its my favorite DVD, including all movies. The sound is spectacular and the track Silver Spring is sung with more emotion than anything I have seen. (I'm still in awe after finding out last year that it was cut from Rumours because of the restricted space for LP). And the encore!! Nothing like it. The one track I have never really cared for by Fleetwood Mac (Don't Stop) is a treat everytime I watch this disc.

I highly suggest getting this DVD, a great sounding hits collection.

19. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Good thing I found this thread. Thanks for the suggestions.

20. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

If you love 80's music check out their "Tango In The Night" album (1987). Some classics on there. "Everywhere", "Big Love", "little Lies", "Seven Wonders" etc. Highly recommended. [​IMG]