Fleck DVD-A problem...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tillman, Jan 22, 2002.

1. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

OK, I've got a Bluegrass DVD-A from Bela Fleck and can't find the AR Stereo mix. It defaults to multi-mix and the top menu does not display an option of mixes. Additionaly, when I select group 2 on my RP-91, it recycles and goes back to group 1 (multimix).
    The rear cover of the jewel box states "This disc plays 3 ways: Advanced Resolution Stereo - Adv Res 6 Channel Surround Sound - DVD Video Compatible Dolby Digital".
    I believe all my other DVD-A's (except Doobies Captain & Me, which is a flipper) offer a mix choice from the top menu. What am I missing here?
    I wanted to give a listen, he's coming to town next week with Edgar Meyer ("greatest living bass player"), so I need to [​IMG] or [​IMG] a ticket.

2. Jim Garbern

Jim Garbern Stunt Coordinator

John,

Great selection. The RP-91 reads certain flags on some discs such as this one (as I'm told) that force it to recognize only the DVD-A content, which you won't be able to hear if you don't have the analog outs from the DVD player hooked up to the analog inputs of your receiver/preamp. Having both the regular CD and DVD-A of this disc, the latter version is much better sounding even in stereo mode.

You should know that Bela is an incredibly versatile artist and the Bluegrass sessions disc will not have much in common with the stuff he'll be playing with Edgar Meyer. I'm eagerly looking forward to their concert as well and I'd heartily recommend you get the tics. The current tour with Edgar is mostly classical stuff, and is from his latest CD, Perpetual Motion, which I also recommend, but if classical is not your style, you may be somewhat taken aback if Bluegrass was what you were expecting. Bela can make pretty much any style of music sound great, and I'm convinced he must have a separate brain lobe for each of his fingers to be able to play the way he does. Edgar Meyer is in the same league, and has a modified bass that lets him play notes both higher and lower than a conventional double bass. He's won fiddle contests on the bass. Their previous collaboration, Uncommon ritual, is incredible. Not to dis Edgar, who I think most would agree is the best acoustic bass player, probably ever, but I think Victor Wooten, who is a member of Bela's band, the Flecktones, is the best electric bass player on the planet.

Hope this helps.

Jim

3. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

As I understand it, there are some DVD-As that do not have a *dedicated* stereo track, but if you listen through the two channel analog outputs, you get a stereo downmix of the surround track. This is apparently more advanced than the downmixing Dolby Digital does, in that the actual mixing decisions are made by the mixer via "difference flags" in the DVD-A stream, so the results aren't as awful as DD downmixes, but it still isn't as good as a dedicated stereo mix (from what I've read, I haven't gotten into DVD-A).

So even though it advertises a "stereo track," you'll need to listen through the stereo outputs to actually hear it in stereo.

Ryan

4. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Jim:

5. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit